CSA Articles / Politics & Government

Back  

Jack Layton 1950-2011
Posted date : Sep 02, 2011.
Jack Layton 1950-2011 - Jack Layton1950 - 2011Jack Layton, the leader of Canada's official opposition, passed away at age 61 after fighting a courageous battle with cance....   Read more...

Opinion With Michael Coren
Posted date : Sep 02, 2011.
Opinion With Michael Coren - Early this July, I accepted an extremely generous offer to host a new prime-time show on Sun News TV. Coren Tonight airs weeknights at 7 p.m.,....   Read more...

Opinion With Michael Coren
Posted date : Jul 08, 2011.
Opinion With Michael Coren - In April, my new book, "Why Catholics Are Right" (McClelland & Stewart) was published. I knew that it would be provocative, but I did ....   Read more...

Opinion with Michael Coren
Posted date : May 06, 2011.
Opinion with Michael Coren - When we speak of property rights, personal responsibility and our obligations as well as our rights, we also speak of knowing when the state h....   Read more...

Special Guest Columnist - Jack Layton
Posted date : May 06, 2011.
Special Guest Columnist - Jack Layton - The retirement years are something to which we should all look forward. It's a time to spend with grandchildren, to take up hobbies we never h....   Read more...

Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren
Posted date : Dec 06, 2010.
Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren - It's truly extraordinary how almost every left-of-centre journalist in the country has managed to become an instant expert on the arcane subjects ....   Read more...

Posted date : Sep 17, 2010.
Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren - The Liberal party appears to have an intimate love affair with effortless elitism and divided loyalties. Otherwise, it would not insist on repeate....   Read more...

Posted date : Jul 20, 2010.
Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren - All of you who spend time south of the border know that although there is always something about the United States that annoys or even provokes....   Read more...

The Canadian Travellers' Report Card
Posted date : May 27, 2010.
The Canadian Travellers' Report Card - Here is an excerpt from the third edition of the Canadian Travellers' Report Card. To view the full English report with a province by province b....   Read more...

McGuinty Government Strengthens Democratic Rights for Ontarians Travelling Abroad
McGuinty Government Strengthens Democratic Rights for Ontarians Travelling Abroad - In 2002, the Canadian Snowbird Association issued its inaugural edition of The Canadian Travellers Report Card. The report card, as most of yo....   Read more...

Special Guest Column - Michael Coren
Special Guest Column - Michael Coren - So at long last, health-care reform is achieved in the United States. Or sort of achieved. More than a dozen states are taking legal action an....   Read more...

Nobody likes paying taxes. But some taxes are even worse than others.
Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.
Nobody likes paying taxes. But some taxes are even worse than others. - Taxes that force people to pay more for essentials – such as their home heating and hydro bills – are particularly painful.Taxes that drive up the....   Read more...

Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren - I have to be honest. I was never a particular fan of Barack Obama and I simply couldn't share in the mass euphoria when the man was elected. Of co....   Read more...

CSA revisits “Retired Persons Visa”
CSA revisits “Retired Persons Visa” - Several years ago, when Bill McCollum was a United States congressman from the Orlando area (he is now the attorney general for the state of Flo....   Read more...

Special Guet Columnist - Michael Coren
Posted date : Sep 22, 2009.
Special Guet Columnist - Michael Coren - A freelance journalist with four children and a wife who works part time. In other words, for the longest time, the idea of me having any investments ....   Read more...

Special Guet Columnist - Michael Coren
Posted date : Jul 21, 2009.
Special Guet Columnist - Michael Coren - It just so happened that in late May, just as Canadians were in a panic about obtaining passports so as to be able to cross the United States' bor....   Read more...

Canadian Politics
Posted date : Apr 30, 2009.
Canadian Politics - I suppose it says a great deal about Canadian politics that the country's two major parties are currently led by genuine intellectuals. What it sa....   Read more...

Posted date : Dec 23, 2008.
Special Guest Columnist - Michael Coren - I think we've all noticed that the air smells sweeter, our hair is thicker and food tastier now that he whose name we speak in hushed tones has be....   Read more...

Snowbirds’ Florida Tax Crisis
Posted date : May 24, 2008.
Snowbirds’ Florida Tax Crisis - Last summer, you read here about how Florida's property tax system was rigged against snowbirds. You'll recall that the Save-Our-Homes Amendment (SOH)....   Read more...

Florida Taxation and Budget Reform Commission
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Florida Taxation and Budget Reform Commission - When Jeb Bush was governor of the state of Florida, he appointed a commission to review the property tax situation and make a report to the legislatur....   Read more...

Your Property Assessment and Right to a Review
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Your Property Assessment and Right to a Review - As snowbirds head south during the winter months, I would like to remind those who own property in British Columbia that the deadline for filing a com....   Read more...

Absentee Mail-in Ballots by 2011
Posted date : Aug 07, 2007.
Absentee Mail-in Ballots by 2011 - Ontario snowbirds won't be able to send an absentee mail-in ballot for this fall's Oct. 10 election. But a Conservative member of the Ontario legislat....   Read more...

National Seniors' Council
Posted date : Jun 06, 2007.
National Seniors' Council - OTTAWA – Whether the subjects involve health care, income security and personal safety, or more snowbird-related concerns such as out-of-province em....   Read more...

Supporting Canada’s Pensioners and Seniors
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Supporting Canada’s Pensioners and Seniors - Canadian pensioners and seniors have spent a lifetime building this great country of ours. With selfless determination and dedication they established....   Read more...

The Homestead Act
Posted date : May 27, 2007.
The Homestead Act - Good public policy should recognize and reinforce the Canadian value of home ownership. A home is the biggest single investment most Canadians make, o....   Read more...

Happy Canada Day!
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
Happy Canada Day! - Canadian Embassy Washington, DC Dear Canadian Snowbird Association Members, I hope you were able to celebrate our great country on Canada Day, ....   Read more...

Ontario Intends to Close Facilities for the Disabled
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
Ontario Intends to Close Facilities for the Disabled - The Ontario Minister of Community and Social Services has announced plans to close Huronia (Orillia), Rideau (Smiths Falls) and Southwestern (Chatham)....   Read more...

Senior Power
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
Senior Power - Seniors are the fastest growing segment of the Canadian population. Seniors have worked hard for Canada, fought our wars, and contributed immensely to....   Read more...

Health-Care Funding
Posted date : Apr 15, 2007.
Health-Care Funding - Several members and even a Director of the Canadian Snowbird Association have shared their personal experiences with us describing how the provincial ....   Read more...

Considering Romanow
Posted date : Apr 12, 2007.
Considering Romanow - Snowbirds won't be the only Canadians thinking about health care costs and availability this winter. Eighteen months ago, Prime Minister Chrétien app....   Read more...

Watching the Romanow Commission
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
Watching the Romanow Commission - "The Medicare House needs remodelling, not demolishing."It's no secret that for many years, Canadians have viewed their national health-care system as....   Read more...

An Open Letter to Commissioner Roy Romanow
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
An Open Letter to Commissioner Roy Romanow - On April 4, 2001, Prime Minister Jean Chretien and Health Minister Allan Rock announced the Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada. Within ....   Read more...

Ontario Delivers for CSA!
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
Ontario Delivers for CSA! - On Friday, January 22, 1999 at Snowbird Extravaganza, Ontario Premier Mike Harris responded to years of lobbying efforts by the Canadian Snowbird Asso....   Read more...