CSA Articles / Health Pulse

Back  

Your Winter Vacation - Healthy Planning
Posted date : Sep 02, 2011.
Your Winter Vacation - Healthy Planning - It's that time of year again when many of us are preparing for our winter vacation away from home, most often in the southern states. After al....   Read more...

Troublesome Urinary Problems: Symptoms We Don’t Talk About
Posted date : Jul 08, 2011.
Troublesome Urinary Problems: Symptoms We Don’t Talk About - At my recent annual health checkup, my family doctor asked, along with countless other questions, about my bladder function. How often did....   Read more...

10 Tips for Keeping Your Back Healthy
10 Tips for Keeping Your Back Healthy - Research shows that 80 per cent of Canadians will experience back pain at some point in their lives. When it comes to back pain, prevention is oft....   Read more...

How to Mention the Unmentionables to Your Health Care Provider
How to Mention the Unmentionables to Your Health Care Provider - Are you anxious to talk to your health professional about urinary incontinence, prostate problems, sexual dysfunction, sexually transmitte....   Read more...

Difficult Diagnoses
Posted date : May 06, 2011.
Difficult Diagnoses - While nearing the end of my medical education, I recall my sister phoning me one night telling me the story of her infant son who was having a pro....   Read more...

Golf is Good For Your Joints
Golf is Good For Your Joints - (NC)—With another winter season behind us, thousands of golf-starved Canadians are making a beeline for the fairways. But is it possible to play....   Read more...

Tips to Help Save Your Sight
Tips to Help Save Your Sight - (NC)—Every 12 minutes, another Canadian begins to lose his or her sight. This can happen to anyone at any point in their lifetime, bringing ....   Read more...

Silent Killers
Silent Killers - Difficult diagnoses aren't the only things that can risk your health; some diseases don't have symptoms at all, and are dubbed "silent killers....   Read more...

Sunshine Alone Won’t Provide Enough Vitamin D
Posted date : Dec 06, 2010.
Sunshine Alone Won’t Provide Enough Vitamin D - Your creates vitamin D from exposure to the sun but, as we age, our bodies are less efficient at converting ultraviolet light into vitami....   Read more...

Eat More Fish!
Eat More Fish! - Men who eat dark fish are 57% less likely to develop aggressive prostate cancer than men who eat no fish at all. Omega-3 fatty acids are abundant in f....   Read more...

H1N1 (2009) Virus Downgraded to Post-pandemic Status
H1N1 (2009) Virus Downgraded to Post-pandemic Status - As of August 10, 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that the H1N1 (2009) virus - or "swine flu" - has moved to the post-pandemic p....   Read more...

Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy - According to a series of new Canadian-led medical trials, a new implantable device has the potential to help patients with heart failure better than s....   Read more...

Scared of Needles? Pick Your Nose!
Scared of Needles? Pick Your Nose! - If you dread your annual flu shot because you know that you'll have to deal with a needle, there's a new product on the market that may help y....   Read more...

Don't Let the Bedbugs Bite!
Don't Let the Bedbugs Bite! - Bedbug infestations are becoming more common in North America, particularly in places with higher rates of human traffic, such as hotels and shopping ....   Read more...

What's Your Hobby?
Posted date : Dec 16, 2010.
What's Your Hobby? - Last summer, as I was busy in my shop attaching the radiator to my 1928 Ford Model A roadster, my neighbour stopped by to "supervise" my resto....   Read more...

Valley Fever FAQ
Posted date : Sep 15, 2010.
Valley Fever FAQ - Valley Fever is a fungal lung infection caused by coccidiodes organisms. The fungi, found in soil, are stirred into the air and then breathed ....   Read more...

When To Take Your Vitamins
Posted date : Sep 17, 2010.
When To Take Your Vitamins - The best method of taking your vitamins is spaced throughout the day; there is evidence that taking them at specific intervals may help with their abs....   Read more...

Driving and Skin Cancers in Men
Driving and Skin Cancers in Men - Researchers from Saint Louis University Medical Center reported an alarmingly high incidence of left-sided facial skin cancers in men. They reviewed t....   Read more...

Vitamins & Supplements: What should I Take?
Vitamins & Supplements: What should I Take? - There is probably no area of medicine which has provoked more controversy and differing opinions over the years than the recommendations which doctors....   Read more...

Moderate Coffee and Tea Consumption
Posted date : Jul 20, 2010.
Moderate Coffee and Tea Consumption - A recent study has shown that moderate coffee and tea consumption reduces the risk of heart disease. The study, led by physicians and researchers ....   Read more...

What Makes Retirees Really Happy?
What Makes Retirees Really Happy? - You may or may not be surprised. A recent study shows that strong social ties are the key to a happy retirement; more so than having grandchildren. A ....   Read more...

Should You Take Aspirin During a Suspected Heart Attack?
Should You Take Aspirin During a Suspected Heart Attack? - Some sources claim that taking an aspirin during a suspected heart attack greatly increases one's chances of survival. According to the Heart and ....   Read more...

Country Doctor
I was in grade 7 when I read a book about how Dr. Fredrick Banting and Dr. Charles Best discovered insulin and restored the lives of thousands of sick people with diabetes. It was probably the first time that I thought I might like to be a doctor some day. And it was during medical school at Queen’s in the early 60s that I knew I wanted to start my career as a country doctor. Country Doctor - Dr. MacMillan started his career as a country doctor. He then practised family medicine in Peterborough, Ontario, for 15 years before joining ....   Read more...

Update on Shingles Vaccine in Canada
Posted date : May 27, 2010.
Update on Shingles Vaccine in Canada - Last fall, the Canadian government approved the sale in Canada of the new vaccine Zostavax to help prevent shingles (herpes zoster). Although n....   Read more...

Common Drugs can Cause or Worsen Memory Problems
Common Drugs can Cause or Worsen Memory Problems - Many common drugs can cause or worsen memory problems, confusion and cognitive impairment in older adults, which can be mistaken for dementia&....   Read more...

Diabetes: Fact and Fiction
Diabetes: Fact and Fiction - If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, it may be difficult to separate fact from fiction.The American Diabetes Association debunks some ....   Read more...

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Get Diagnosed - Get Treated
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Get Diagnosed - Get Treated - By far the most common medical condition affecting the gastrointestinal tract in the senior population is GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Es....   Read more...

H1N1 Flu and Snowbirds
Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.
H1N1 Flu and Snowbirds - Anyone following the press knows that the information from public health authorities seems to change every few days. Nevertheless, there are some impo....   Read more...

Cold versus Seasonal flu versus H1N1
Cold versus Seasonal flu versus H1N1 - Feeling unwell? Unsure if it's "just a cold" or something more severe? Here are some of the differences between symptoms of a common cold and the ....   Read more...

Top 10 germiest objects to avoid
Top 10 germiest objects to avoid - Keeping our immune system strong is vital in the fight against flu germs this winter – and so is pinpointing the most likely places those little pat....   Read more...

Symptoms you should not ignore
Symptoms you should not ignore - It is always a sad event when someone develops certain ominous signs or symptoms and does not seek professional assessment in a timely period, con....   Read more...

Erectile Dysfunction Alarm
Posted date : Sep 22, 2009.
Erectile Dysfunction Alarm - Erectile dysfunction has been linked to an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes. A recent study conducted by the Mayo Clinic found that men wit....   Read more...

Cosmetics Are Not Sunscreen
Cosmetics Are Not Sunscreen - Many lotions, face creams and cosmetics have SPF factors listed in their ingredients. The SPF does offer protection from limited exposure to the harmf....   Read more...

Eating Out Doesn’t Mean Overeat
Eating Out Doesn’t Mean Overeat - When you are on the road and have to eat at restaurants, or if you just like to eat out once in a while or like to eat out often, try to maintain your....   Read more...

Be Wary of High SPF Factors
Be Wary of High SPF Factors - SPF 80 is not twice as strong as SPF 40. In fact, SPF 40 blocks out 97% of the ultraviolet-B (UVB) radiation and SPF 80 blocks out 99% of UVB radiatio....   Read more...

Protect Yourself and Others From the H1N1 Flu – “swine flu”
Protect Yourself and Others From the H1N1 Flu – “swine flu” - All strains of influenza can be dangerous; however, good infection prevention measures can help protect you and others, if this virus begins to spread....   Read more...

Travel Tips for Going South
Travel Tips for Going South - As many of us prepare for some winter months in the sunny south, it is helpful to review the many considerations, especially relating to our h....   Read more...

A Good Night’s Sleep
Posted date : Jul 21, 2009.
A Good Night’s Sleep - For many older adults, getting a good night's sleep is one of their major health problems. When younger, we often experienced times when we needed....   Read more...

Can eating certain foods make us smarter...?
Can eating certain foods make us smarter...? - According to recent research, yes – certain foods do contribute to memory, alertness and mood. Here are some of the key nutrients that help ....   Read more...

Cardiovascular risk factors linked to Alzheimer’s disease
Cardiovascular risk factors linked to Alzheimer’s disease - A study in the journal Archives of Neurology found that obesity, high cholesterol and high blood pressure can each double your risk of developing Alzh....   Read more...

Memory loss and aging: what’s normal and what’s not
Memory loss and aging: what’s normal and what’s not - Some memory loss with aging is completely normal. As we get older, we lose brain cells, a few at a time, and our bodies make less of the chemicals tha....   Read more...

The difference between heartburn and a heart attack
The difference between heartburn and a heart attack - Is that pain in your chest heartburn or a heart attack? The symptoms are similar, but the health consequences differ dramatically. If you think that y....   Read more...

Immunization for Adults: Have you had your shots?
Posted date : Apr 30, 2009.
Immunization for Adults: Have you had your shots? - A great deal of attention is paid to children's immunization, but adults also need to protect themselves from certain infectious diseases. Ove....   Read more...

Golf Extends your Life expectancy
Golf Extends your Life expectancy - Golf extends your life expectancyScientists from Sweden claim that the death rate for golfers is 40% lower than other people from the same sex, ag....   Read more...

Worried about being forgetful? Forget about it!
Worried about being forgetful? Forget about it! - Worried about being forgetful? Forget about it!The act of forgetting is a necessary function of the brain that is required in order for it to operat....   Read more...

Non-invasive Prostate Reduction Procedure
Non-invasive Prostate Reduction Procedure - Non-invasive Prostate Reduction ProcedureAs men age, their prostate grows. Many older men deal with the primary side-effect of an enlarged prostate on....   Read more...

Take a Proactive Approach to Avoiding Varicose Veins
Take a Proactive Approach to Avoiding Varicose Veins - Take a Proactive Approach to Avoiding Varicose Veins You can prevent varicose and spider veins from forming and from growing by taking a few simpl....   Read more...

Eating fish twice per week good for kidneys in those with diabetes
Posted date : Dec 23, 2008.
Eating fish twice per week good for kidneys in those with diabetes - Diabetics may be able to ward off kidney disease by eating fish twice per week, according to a new study. Researchers explain that the unique nutr....   Read more...

High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure - There is no other medical condition that is so pervasive among seniors than hypertension (high blood pressure).It is estimated that 40% of Canadians o....   Read more...

High Dosage Vision
High Dosage Vision - The progression of Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) may be reduced by taking high-doses of vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene and zinc.....   Read more...

Get your flu shot – Make it a double-double!
Get your flu shot – Make it a double-double! - It is highly recommended for persons over 50 to receive the flu vaccine.  The fall is the best time to get the shot, because you beat the cur....   Read more...

Link between high blood pressure and lack of potassium
Link between high blood pressure and lack of potassium - New research shows that the lack of potassium in one's diet is a major risk factor for high blood pressure. Surprisingly, the lack of potassium is....   Read more...

Benadryl may not be for you
Benadryl may not be for you - When you are a little older, the side effects of drowsiness and dizziness that are directly related to the ingestion of Benadryl are more pronounc....   Read more...

The doctor’s office - don’t go alone
The doctor’s office - don’t go alone - Taking a trusted friend, family member or spouse with you into your doctor's office can improve the overall results of your diagnosis and tr....   Read more...

Taking Care of your Skin
Posted date : Sep 19, 2008.
Taking Care of your Skin - Taking Care of your SkinWe pay a lot of attention to maintaining good health when it comes to nutrition, heart and lung health, but we often n....   Read more...

Shingles vaccine approved by Health Canada
Shingles vaccine approved by Health Canada - Health Canada has approved a shingles vaccine for adults 60 years and older. The vaccine, called Zostavax, is manufactured by Merck Frosst Can....   Read more...

Breakthrough pill for treating prostate cancer
Breakthrough pill for treating prostate cancer - A breakthrough prostate cancer drug, called abiraterone, may be available for general use by 2011. Researchers at the Royal Marsden Hospital i....   Read more...

Increased heart risks for men with low levels of vitamin D
Increased heart risks for men with low levels of vitamin D - A recent study reveals that men with low levels of vitamin D have a greater risk of having a heart attack. Over a period of 10 years, blood sample....   Read more...

Government of Ontario funds new cancer drugs
Government of Ontario funds new cancer drugs - The government of Ontario is investing $50 million in three groundbreaking cancer drugs. The first, Avastin, will receive $30 million in fundi....   Read more...

Colorectal Cancer: Tests That May Save Your Life
Posted date : Jul 22, 2008.
Colorectal Cancer: Tests That May Save Your Life - As I proceed with the unpleasant "preparation" for my colonoscopy exam this week, I am reminded of how important this cancer-screening test is and....   Read more...

Vertebral Fracture Relief
Vertebral Fracture Relief - Osteoporosis often leads to vertebral fractures and chronic pain. If you have been unsuccessful at managing the pain with medication and strength-buil....   Read more...

Women Should Replace Knees Sooner Than Men!
Women Should Replace Knees Sooner Than Men! - Women often have a higher pain threshold than men. So, the longer they wait to undergo knee replacement surgery, the more likely they are to h....   Read more...

The Importance of Fibre
The Importance of Fibre - It is common knowledge that fibre is good for your digestive system and that increased fibre intake reduces your risk of heart disease, diabetes, obes....   Read more...

Healthy Eating for Seniors
Posted date : May 24, 2008.
Healthy Eating for Seniors - At a recent Winter Information meeting, a CSA member asked me what the latest advice was regarding healthy eating for seniors, claiming that he had be....   Read more...

Trip to the Doctor
Trip to the Doctor - Bring a list of medical concerns with you to your appointment, to discuss with your doctor.Bring a list of the medications, vitamins and other supplem....   Read more...

Vaccinations
Vaccinations - Influenza - Every year Pneumonia - At least once,starting at age 65Tetanus/diphtheria - Every 10 years after age 64, one booster should include whoopi....   Read more...

Mini-Strokes Need to be Treated
Mini-Strokes Need to be Treated - Mini-strokes lead to a major stroke within one week, in one out of 20 people, and should be treated as a medical emergency, British doctors recently r....   Read more...

Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormone Replacement Therapy - The heart attack risk associated with HRT, which has been prevalent in medical journals and even in this humble magazine, may have been misdiagnosed a....   Read more...

Accidents: Causes and Prevention
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Accidents: Causes and Prevention - Having spent 25 years as an Ontario coroner and 15 years involved in insurance claims by travelling Canadians who suffer from accidents, I am acutely ....   Read more...

Which Cold Remedies Really Work?
Which Cold Remedies Really Work? - In its Nutrition Action Newsletter, the Centre for Science in the Public Interest takes a closer look at the effectiveness of popular cold remedies. A....   Read more...

What Causes EasyBruising?
What Causes EasyBruising? - Easy and frequent bruising is very common in older adults, especially women. Many people find ominous-looking bruises on their arms and legs, but cann....   Read more...

Don’t Ignore Your Dental Health
Don’t Ignore Your Dental Health - For many seniors, dental health often becomes a secondary concern when one is faced with more pressing health issues. However, ignoring your teeth and....   Read more...

Arm Yourself with Info to Fight Breast Cancer Recurrence
Arm Yourself with Info to Fight Breast Cancer Recurrence - A recent study has found that women recovering from breast cancer treatment are not informed of the risk of cancer recurrence. The Canadian Breast Can....   Read more...

Nuts and Seeds OK for Diverticulosis?
Nuts and Seeds OK for Diverticulosis? - Nuts and seeds OK for diverticulosis? Apparently so, according to a study conducted by the University of Washington. The study, which began in 1986, f....   Read more...

Heart Attack: Prevention and Treatment
Posted date : Oct 17, 2007.
Heart Attack: Prevention and Treatment - About one in four Canadians are affected by heart disease and about half of those will develop it after the age of 65. Because coronary artery disease....   Read more...

Prostate Cancer Cure Proves Effective
Prostate Cancer Cure Proves Effective - Brachytherapy, a minimally invasive procedure where surgeons implant rice-sized, radioactive “seeds” into or close to a tumor, is a promising cure....   Read more...

Be Careful With Those New Glasses!
Be Careful With Those New Glasses! - If you’ve got a new pair of glasses, be careful – you may be a bit off balance. Researchers observed 616 people over 70 who received either an eye....   Read more...

New treatment for Kidney Cancer
New treatment for Kidney Cancer - Research shows that percutaneous cryoablation – in which freezing gas is injected into a tumor to kill malignant tissue – is a safe, effective....   Read more...

What o do if You Catch the Flu
What o do if You Catch the Flu - If you do catch a cold or the ‘flu this winter, remember:If you're sick, stay home and rest. Keep your cold or 'flu to yourself.Drink lots of liquid....   Read more...

Infections: Prevention and Current Treatments
Posted date : Aug 07, 2007.
Infections: Prevention and Current Treatments - Last week, my new grandson had to be admitted to the hospital with a serious infection. He’s only four weeks old and was premature – still under s....   Read more...

Nuts for your Heart
Nuts for your Heart - One or two handfuls of pistachio nuts a day can help reduce blood levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL) by up to 11%. Don't just add the....   Read more...

Work it out!
Work it out! - Recent studies have shown that several small workouts throughout the day are more effective at reducing blood pressure than one extended exercise sess....   Read more...

Waltzing Helps Weak Hearts
Waltzing Helps Weak Hearts - Typical exercise on a treadmill or stationary bicycle for men and women with stable chronic heart failure can be improved upon by substituting a 21-mi....   Read more...

Stroke Survivor’s Long-term Improvements
Stroke Survivor’s Long-term Improvements - Stroke survivors who have damaged the area of the brain that controls “executive function” may find that antidepressants have a long-term positive....   Read more...

Vaccinate this!
Vaccinate this! - You may have been vigilant about getting your annual flu shot, but there are several other vaccinations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control....   Read more...

Top 10 Tips to a Better Brain
Top 10 Tips to a Better Brain - Scientists say that mental decline as we age appears to be largely due to altered connections among brain cells. The synapses, or the electrical curre....   Read more...

Blood Cholesterol - Keeping it Normal
Posted date : Jun 06, 2007.
Blood Cholesterol - Keeping it Normal - Many decades of research have proved that a high level of cholesterol in the blood exposes one to a much higher risk of cardiovascular disease, especi....   Read more...

Blood Glucose and Cholesterol Measurement Units in U.S.
Blood Glucose and Cholesterol Measurement Units in U.S. - If you are diabetic or have high cholesterol, and travel to the U.S., you are probably aware that blood glucose readings and lipids in the U.S. are me....   Read more...

Oral health is important to your overall health
Oral health is important to your overall health - (NC)-Research shows there is a relationship between oral disease and other health problems such as diabetes and certain kinds of pneumonia. There may ....   Read more...

Vision & Hearing Problems of Older Adults
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Vision & Hearing Problems of Older Adults - Although various eye and ear disorders affect persons of all ages, there are certain conditions that are of particular prevalence as we age. As infant....   Read more...

Help Your Eyes to See Better
Help Your Eyes to See Better - Sometimes, having corrective glasses or contact lenses is not enough to combat low-vision problems. This eye condition occurs when it becomes increasi....   Read more...

Eat Fish & Quit Smoking!
Eat Fish & Quit Smoking! - It has been reported that 75% of adults over the age of 75 will be affected by age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Two recent studies published in....   Read more...

Your Skin's Best Protection Against UVA
Your Skin's Best Protection Against UVA - Sunscreen containing Mexoryl, also known as ecamsule, provides the best available protection against UVA rays, which penetrate the skin deeper than UV....   Read more...

Vitamin D Prevents Disabilities
Vitamin D Prevents Disabilities - Dutch researchers have found that persons over the age of 65 with low blood levels of Vitamin D were three times more likely to end up in a nursing ho....   Read more...

Osteoarthritis
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Osteoarthritis - Although there are many forms of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and gouty arthritis (each of which requires very specific medical tr....   Read more...

Don't read this with a grain of salt!
Don't read this with a grain of salt! - We all know that excess sodium intake can lead to high blood pressure. However, sodium is an essential nutrient and cannot be eliminated completely. T....   Read more...

High Cholesterol Silent but potentially deadly
High Cholesterol Silent but potentially deadly - High cholesterol can be an especially dangerous ailment, as it usually does not manifest itself in typical symptoms. This is why it is so important to....   Read more...

A Lemon a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
A Lemon a Day Keeps the Doctor Away - Did you know that drinking a few glasses of lemonade each day can prevent the formation of kidney stones? Citrate (citric acid) is a natural inhibitor....   Read more...

Prostate Cancer: Know Your Options
Prostate Cancer: Know Your Options - In Canada, prostate cancer is the most-often diagnosed cancer in men; approximately one in seven will be diagnosed during their lifetime. Fortunately ....   Read more...

Acces to Good Medical Care -at Home and Away
Posted date : May 28, 2007.
Acces to Good Medical Care -at Home and Away - Last week, when my ear plugged up for several days and my own physician was not available, I decided to go to a walk-in clinic for service. After a fe....   Read more...

Be Kind to Your Knees
Be Kind to Your Knees - Knee problems seem to be a common occurrence among older adults. This is because older adults are remaining more active as they age, thereby putting m....   Read more...

What Causes Easy Bruising?
What Causes Easy Bruising? - Easy and frequent bruising is very common in older adults, especially women. Many people find ominous-looking bruises on their arms and legs, but cann....   Read more...

Most Healthy People do not have Heart Problems
Most Healthy People do not have Heart Problems - We've all heard of the guy who ran in marathons and never smoked a day in his life succumbing to a massive heart attack. However, research shows that ....   Read more...

Dr. Bob's Top 10 List for Healthy Living
Posted date : May 27, 2007.
Dr. Bob's Top 10 List for Healthy Living - The following article summarizes the presentation given at the Snowbird Extravaganzas and CSA Winter Information Meetings held throughout the southern....   Read more...

Don't Let Loneliness Break Your Heart
Don't Let Loneliness Break Your Heart - Recent studies have shown that people who are lonely have higher blood pressure than those who are not lonely. Unwanted isolation is just as dangerous....   Read more...

Aspirin Therapy: Women can Benefit, too
Aspirin Therapy: Women can Benefit, too - Women can reduce the risk of stroke by taking low-dose aspirin. This information comes from the Women`s Health Study, which recently concluded that wo....   Read more...

Diabetes: The Power to Prevent and Control
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
Diabetes: The Power to Prevent and Control - As a public school student in Kingston, Ontario, I recall being given a reading assignment about diabetes. I became totally immersed in the book about....   Read more...

Vaccines
Vaccines - Vaccine helps prevent pneumonia and meningitis. We have said it before...but if you protect yourself with a flu shot, you should think about gettin....   Read more...

Protect Your Feet
Protect Your Feet - Protect Your Feet from the Sun. Your feet are just as susceptible to skin cancer as any other part of your . According to the American College ....   Read more...

Should We Be Worried About Bird Flu?
Should We Be Worried About Bird Flu? - There's absolutely no need for us to panic about avian influenza – for now. Currently, avian influenza, known as "bird flu," is a highly species-spe....   Read more...

New Developments in the Treatment of Alzheimer's
New Developments in the Treatment of Alzheimer's - There has been a recent glimmer of hope in the treatment of Alzheimer's, a debilitating brain disease that affects millions of people worldwide. Scien....   Read more...

Travel Health and Safety Tips
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
Travel Health and Safety Tips - While the majority of Canadian seniors who travel outside of Canada go to the United States and in particular, the sunbelt states during the winter, t....   Read more...

Heart Disease - Doesn't Discriminate
Heart Disease - Doesn't Discriminate - Many people think of heart disease as a male health problem. As a result, women sometimes ignore warning signs of heart disease – often with devasta....   Read more...

How Your Diet Affects Prostate Cancer
How Your Diet Affects Prostate Cancer - The bad news is that prostate cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian men, affecting one in seven men during their lifetime. The good news, ho....   Read more...

Be Gone, Ugly Varicose Veins!
Be Gone, Ugly Varicose Veins! - Varicose veins are those unsightly thick and lumpy bluish-green veins that protrude from your legs. It is estimated that 41% of women suffer from abno....   Read more...

Healthy Minds
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
Healthy Minds - Much emphasis is placed on physical well-being and disease prevention, with less attention being paid to the measures which lead to preserving mental ....   Read more...

The Beauty of Telemedicine
The Beauty of Telemedicine - Thanks to technology, physicians don't always need to see their patients in order to diagnose medical problems and to recommend treatment. Remote acce....   Read more...

Seniors and heat exposure
Seniors and heat exposure - Exposure to extreme temperatures can be deadly for seniors, especially in the summer. It's important for seniors, their families and their caregivers ....   Read more...

Mosquito Myths
Mosquito Myths - Myth: All mosquitoes carry diseases. Fact: Only certain fresh water mosquitoes (as low as 15 per cent of the species) actually carry viruses which c....   Read more...

Medical Screening
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
Medical Screening - We are all familiar with the advice to have an annual physical examination by our doctor, including certain basic blood tests and a urinalysis. But wh....   Read more...

VeriChip: The Human Implantable Computer Chip
VeriChip: The Human Implantable Computer Chip - Applied Digital, a Florida-based company, has recently gained FDA approval to market their implantable computer chip in the U.S. The device, called th....   Read more...

Benefits of Moderate Weight Loss
Benefits of Moderate Weight Loss - Moderate weight loss has received increasing attention as a strategy for those who are overweight or obese. And, unlike many weight-loss programs in w....   Read more...

Strengthen Your Body and Mind
Strengthen Your Body and Mind - If you're looking for an invigorating activity this spring, why not try Tai Chi? This ancient Chinese martial art is renowned for its ability to promo....   Read more...

Eating Well and Keeping Fit
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
Eating Well and Keeping Fit - As much as new medical procedures and pharmaceuticals have done in modern times to improve and prolong our lives, there is increasing scientific proof....   Read more...

Don't Take the Fall, Take Vitamin D Instead
Don't Take the Fall, Take Vitamin D Instead - According to a study by the Journal of the American Medical Association, older adults who take vitamin D supplements may substantially reduce their ri....   Read more...

Tired? Don't Drive!
Tired? Don't Drive! - Here's the scenario: You're driving along a monotonous highway. Perhaps you didn't sleep well the night before, or perhaps you just ate a big meal. Ma....   Read more...

Eat Your Favourite Colour
Eat Your Favourite Colour - The appealing, rich colour of some fruits and vegetables may protect you from disease. Studies show that the natural pigments in colourful fruits and ....   Read more...

Bystander CPR Better than Waiting for Paramedics
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
Bystander CPR Better than Waiting for Paramedics - New research shows that bystanders performing CPR or using external defibrillators save as many cardiac arrest victims as trained paramedics. The data....   Read more...

Valley Fever
Valley Fever - One of the unique health risks for travellers to the southwestern United States and to parts of Central and South America is the chance of contracting....   Read more...

Severe Heart Attacks Don't Always Hurt
Severe Heart Attacks Don't Always Hurt - According to a recent study published by Chest journal, heart attacks that are not accompanied by chest pain are deadlier, more apt to be missed, and ....   Read more...

Prostate Disorder
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Prostate Disorder - One of the most common disorders afflicting senior male travellers is the development of prostate symptoms, often requiring acute medical care while a....   Read more...

Vitamin E and anticoagulants – DON’T DO IT!
Vitamin E and anticoagulants – DON’T DO IT! - Although vitamin E is often touted as a miracle vitamin because of its antioxidant qualities and an indication that it may slow down the memory deteri....   Read more...

Taking cholesterol-lowering drugs? Keep exercising!
Taking cholesterol-lowering drugs? Keep exercising! - Your doctor has you on medication to lower your cholesterol, so you can eat what you want and stop exercising, right? ....Wrong! Heart disease is a....   Read more...

Higher Risk of Food Poisoning for Antacid Eaters
Higher Risk of Food Poisoning for Antacid Eaters - If you regularly take antacids, you may be at higher risk for food poisoning, since antacids neutralize the stomach acid you produce. Your stomach aci....   Read more...

Getting Rid of those Ugly Dust Mites
Getting Rid of those Ugly Dust Mites - Wash bedding at least every two weeks, in hot water.Use allergy-proof encasements for your mattresses and pillows. Clean the frame of your bed, thoro....   Read more...

TIA and Stroke: What Every Senior Should Know
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
TIA and Stroke: What Every Senior Should Know - Much progress has been made in the past few years in the prevention and treatment of Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA or "mini-stroke") and stroke. Beca....   Read more...

Prescriptions, Start Talking!
Prescriptions, Start Talking! - Ever have trouble reading your prescriptions? An Illinois company called En-Vision America is developing the ScripTalk System, designed to give the bl....   Read more...

The REAL Active Ingredient
The REAL Active Ingredient - Been wanting to try a new back pain medication? There may be an easier way to get the same effect. Quite often, the "special ingredient" which make....   Read more...

Immunization DID YOU KNOW?
Immunization DID YOU KNOW? - Diphtheria kills 1 in every 10 persons who get the illness; tetanus kills up to 1 in 5. Measles causes encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) in ....   Read more...

Chronic Pain: New Solutions to Age Old Problems
Chronic Pain: New Solutions to Age Old Problems - Botox injections. Muscle relaxants. Physiotherapy. Chiropractics. From pain-killers and narcotics to acupuncture and deep-muscle Rolfing massage, Cath....   Read more...

Andropause: Ironing out the Bumps on Life's Road
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
Andropause: Ironing out the Bumps on Life's Road - While there is much written about female menopause, a similar phenomenon called andropause occurs in many men, and has recently attracted considerable....   Read more...

Smokers Warning
Smokers Warning - Health care professionals are now using caution when recommending vitamin and mineral supplements that contain beta-carotene to smokers. Two major stu....   Read more...

Go Nuts for Lower Cholesterol
Go Nuts for Lower Cholesterol - We're usually told to stay away from nuts due to their high fat content, but you should think twice about cutting them from your diet completely. R....   Read more...

Another High Blood Pressure Indicator!
Another High Blood Pressure Indicator! - Scientists have concluded that memory lapses may be an indication that you have high blood pressure. When your blood pressure is too high, your blo....   Read more...

Non-invasive Colon Cancer Test
Non-invasive Colon Cancer Test - Up until recently, a colonoscopy was the most accurate way to diagnose colon cancer - although also the most invasive and expensive. But Dr. Tedros Be....   Read more...

Age-Related Vision Loss
Age-Related Vision Loss - Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of blindness in people over 65 and the leading cause of severe vision loss in people over ....   Read more...

Osteoporosis: What You Should Know
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
Osteoporosis: What You Should Know - Osteoporosis is one of the major health conditions which afflicts persons over 50, especially women, and its prevalence is increasing. It is estimated....   Read more...

OMEGA-3 Oils
OMEGA-3 Oils - Just about everything these days is touted as fat free. Take a stroll down the supermarket aisles and count the number of products that brightly claim....   Read more...

Shingles - No Need to Suffer!
Shingles - No Need to Suffer! - Shingles (herpes zoster) is caused by the chicken pox virus. A person who has had chicken pox, usually as a child, retains the virus which comes out f....   Read more...

Hormone Replacement Therapy Hazards
Hormone Replacement Therapy Hazards - A recent study in the United Kingdom involving over 1 Million women who used progestagen-estrogen or estrogen only Hormone Replacement Therapy determi....   Read more...

Get Your Flu Shot!
Get Your Flu Shot! - Each year, influenza kills 36,000 Americans and between 250,000 and 500,000 people worldwide. A recent study published in The New England Journal of M....   Read more...

Coping with
Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.
Coping with - Clarifying the Role of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women in Menopause It's miraculous how efficiently the human is designed for the function....   Read more...

Islet Cell Transplantation
Islet Cell Transplantation - It is early Friday evening in Toronto and I am speaking with one of the most notable surgeons in Canada, from his office on a sunny Vancouver afternoo....   Read more...

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) - Discussing problems with the prostate gland tend to make men uncomfortable; many doctors attribute this to the fact that it has a role in both sex and....   Read more...

No Such Thing as a Safe Tan
No Such Thing as a Safe Tan - Tanning bed bulbs produce UVA and UVB radiation, just like the sun. These rays can be responsible for cancerous and non-cancerous melanoma that kills ....   Read more...

Mediterranean Diet
Mediterranean Diet - Conclusions of a recent study involving 22,000 people over a four-year period revealed that persons who regularly enjoyed a Mediterranean diet lived l....   Read more...

West Nile Virus
Posted date : Apr 15, 2007.
West Nile Virus - It's mosquito season again! According to Health Canada, last year there were 158 confirmed cases of West Nile virus in Canada resulting in 11 death....   Read more...

Favorite Foods of Health Nutrition Experts
Favorite Foods of Health Nutrition Experts - What do nutrition experts pack in their lunch bags and put on the dinner table? Mayo Clinic experts share their favorite food picks in the January iss....   Read more...

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) - At press time there were 344 "probable and suspected" cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in Canada. Of this number, there have been 21 ....   Read more...

Popular Natural Health Products
Posted date : Apr 12, 2007.
Popular Natural Health Products - Living in a first world nation, we Canadians enjoy a level of health that is better than most of the world's population. We are vaccinated from birth ....   Read more...

New Test for Heart Attacks
New Test for Heart Attacks - A new test has been developed to check patients for inflammation deep within the ­ inflammation which doctors are starting to believe indicates ....   Read more...

Stroke Symptoms Different between Men and Women
Stroke Symptoms Different between Men and Women - Think you know the signs of a stroke? According to a recent study, men and women show symptoms differently, resulting in misdiagnosis and delay of the....   Read more...

High Protein - Low Card Diets
High Protein - Low Card Diets - Much has been made in the media recently about the effectiveness of high protein, low carbohydrate diets as a weight loss miracle. One such diet is kn....   Read more...

Your Heart's Natural Strength
Your Heart's Natural Strength - Johns Hopkins researchers have discovered that the human heart naturally works to prevent major heart attacks...they're just trying to figure out how.....   Read more...

PSA Test? Yes!
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
PSA Test? Yes! - Using data from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging, Johns Hopkins urologist H. Ballentine Carter, M.D., found that men in their 40s and 50s wit....   Read more...

Mammograms? Yes!
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
Mammograms? Yes! - Mammograms are in the news again, causing confusion and dismay. This time it's a study that concludes there's no evidence that mammograms save lives. ....   Read more...

Acupuncture
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
Acupuncture - The Chinese healing art of acupuncture is a system of a number of medical treatments that are thousands of years old. Some authorities maintain that a....   Read more...

West Nile Virus
West Nile Virus - The United States Center for Disease Control estimates that there will be 1000 human infections of the West Nile virus this year resulting in approxim....   Read more...

Mixing Medicine
Mixing Medicine - The ingestion of ibuprofen, the pharmaceutical found in common painkillers such as AdvilTM and MotrinTM, appears to counter the health benefits of tak....   Read more...

Snacking Linked to Lower Cholesterol
Snacking Linked to Lower Cholesterol - Eating several small meals a day as opposed to eating two or three large meals can play a pivotal role in your 's Cholesterol levels.What you eat ....   Read more...

Tea: It's Good For Yor Heart
Posted date : Apr 05, 2007.
Tea: It's Good For Yor Heart - A recent study published in the American Heart Association's Journal reported that tea consumption was linked to lower death rates for Heart Attack su....   Read more...

New Parkinson's Medication Available
New Parkinson's Medication Available - Comtan, a medication for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, is now available in Canada. Ask your doctor if it may be beneficial for you.....   Read more...

Glucosamine Improves Ostearthritis Symptoms
Glucosamine Improves Ostearthritis Symptoms - A recent study tested 212 patients suffering from osteoarthritis, over a three-year period, to determine the effects of ingesting a glucosamine supple....   Read more...

Weight Loss: At What Price?
Weight Loss: At What Price? - The Mayo Clinic Health Letter recently reported that approximately 60 million Americans use over-the-counter herbal supplements. But, despite their po....   Read more...

Do CEOs Live Longer than You Do?
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
Do CEOs Live Longer than You Do? - Despite their stress and hectic lifestyles, CEOs of corporations are known to live longer than the general population. This is thought to be due to th....   Read more...

Know What You're Taking!
Know What You're Taking! - Have you ever left your doctor's office with a prescription and not known why it was given to you?Too often, the focus of the appointment is on the co....   Read more...

Exercise: The Confidence Builder
Exercise: The Confidence Builder - In a new study, older adults who exercised three times a week not only became more fit, they perceived themselves as stronger and more attractive, and....   Read more...

Better Sleep Habits
Better Sleep Habits - No matter the cause of insomnia, sleepless nights often lead to poor "sleep hygiene". In some cases, simple changes in your daily and nightly habits m....   Read more...

Water Wars
Water Wars - The big conglomerates are fighting tooth and nail to sell you their brand of water. We thought it might be helpful to review some of our previous comm....   Read more...

Star Wars Technology Can Add Years to Your Life
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
Star Wars Technology Can Add Years to Your Life - When I was in medical school 20 years ago, I was taught that patients came to see their physician once they felt sick. Patients would go to the doctor....   Read more...

Medical Screening - It's Common Sense
Posted date : Mar 08, 2007.
Medical Screening - It's Common Sense - It just makes sense. Medical sense, Cost sense, Peace of Mind sense and Common sense. It is pretty obvious that if your doctor can find an illness or ....   Read more...

Medical Breakthrough for Severe Back Pain
Posted date : Mar 07, 2007.
Medical Breakthrough for Severe Back Pain - In 1998 a study was done on approximately 200 people with severe back pain which, in many cases, prevented them from doing the normal things in life w....   Read more...

The PSA Controversy
The PSA Controversy - In Canada, using the PSA test as a screening tool is surrounded by controversy. Of our 10 provinces, only Manitoba and Nova Scotia absorb the cost of ....   Read more...

Health & Lifestyle Options that May Improve Your Life
Health & Lifestyle Options that May Improve Your Life - We hope you enjoy our special feature Health Pulse a special section supported and researched by some of Canada's leading pharmaceutical manufacturers....   Read more...

Migraine Headaches: A New Long-term Treatment
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
Migraine Headaches: A New Long-term Treatment - People living with migraine headaches know how truly devastating this condition can be. The ominous feeling of the attack coming is a scary reminder o....   Read more...

New Hope for Parkinson Sufferers
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
New Hope for Parkinson Sufferers - New hope is on the horizon. The University of Toronto has targeted Parkinson's Disease research as a top academic priority. With the generous support ....   Read more...

Doctor Visits: Be Prepared!
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
Doctor Visits: Be Prepared! - How many times have you walked out of your doctor's office...without getting the answers you went in for? You're not alone ­ it happens to everyone, ....   Read more...

The Wonderful World of Water
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
The Wonderful World of Water - You've heard it a thousand times: drink eight glasses of water a day. Even though this is just an estimated amount for most people, you don't do it. Y....   Read more...

Developments in Parkinson's Disease Research
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
Developments in Parkinson's Disease Research - Research is an integral part of progress in any health-related program. The Movement Disorder and Functional Neurosurgery Programs at the University o....   Read more...

Elder Abuse and Neglect
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
Elder Abuse and Neglect - Until the 1980s, many of us felt that it could not happen in our families, on our street or in our community. With the assistance of professional and ....   Read more...

U of T's Jack Clark Chair
U of T's Jack Clark Chair - U of T's Faculty of Medicine's Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases (CRND) is a world leader in Parkinson's Disease research. Typically, ....   Read more...

PSA: The Prostate Test
PSA: The Prostate Test - Prostatic Specific Antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by the prostate gland. The use of PSA, which is measured with a blood test, has "taken off" in ....   Read more...