CSA Articles / Travel

Back  

Botswana: Beauty & The Beasts
Posted date : Sep 02, 2011.
BOTSWANA: SNOWBIRDS ON SAFARI Botswana: Beauty & The Beasts - "His rotten-meat breath woke me up," said our guide, Gavin. "The hyena stuck his nose into my mosquito net, but I pretended to sleep, ....   Read more...

Searching for Leprechauns
Posted date : Jul 08, 2011.
Ireland Searching for Leprechauns - Our Ring of Kerry drive continued to Sneem, a village of bright pink, yellow, green and blue homes, restaurants and shops. Flower pots....   Read more...

Surprising Saskatchewan
Posted date : May 06, 2011.
Surprising Saskatchewan Surprising Saskatchewan - "Yawn." That was the response we got from family and friends when we told them we were vacationing in Saskatchewan. "Really?" That was their response ....   Read more...

Riding the Iron Horse to Florida: Travel Writer Dave Hunter Regresses to His Youth
Posted date : Dec 06, 2010.
Riding the Iron Horse to Florida: Travel Writer Dave Hunter Regresses to His Youth - Several years ago, I visited Britain's huge National Railway Museum in York and my heart skipped a beat. For there, among the locomotives and othe....   Read more...

Exploring Mexico's Colonial Cities
Posted date : Dec 16, 2010.
Exploring Mexico's Colonial Cities Exploring Mexico's Colonial Cities -  Lively music lured us into the House of Eleven Courtyards in Pátzcuaro, a four-hour drive west of Mexico City. A guitarist and two fiddlers....   Read more...

Demystifying the Amazon
Posted date : Oct 01, 2010.
Demystifying the Amazon Demystifying the Amazon - An Amazon cruise is all about shattering misconceptions. Even at the planning stage, the river's size changed our intentions of taking a full-....   Read more...

A Driving Tour of Holland
Posted date : Jul 20, 2010.
A Driving Tour of Holland A Driving Tour of Holland - Holland is a tourism paradox. It's a compact country (only 175 by 295 kilometres in size), but it is so full of things to see and do that it s....   Read more...

British Columbia's Island Playground
Posted date : May 27, 2010.
British Columbia's Island Playgound By: Barb & Ron Kroll British Columbia's Island Playground - It was hard to believe that Vancouver was only an hour away. We were standing on Galiano Island's Bluffs, 180 metres above Active Pass, th....   Read more...

Lakeland Florida - Home of Snowbird Extravaganza
Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.
Lakeland Florida By: Dave Hunter Lakeland Florida - Home of Snowbird Extravaganza - Every year in late January, thousands of Canadian and U.S. snowbirds gather at The Lakeland Center in Central Florida to celebrate the two-day Sno....   Read more...

Into the Spirit of Things, St. Augustine, Florida
Posted date : Sep 22, 2009.
St. Augustine, Florida By: Dave Hunter Into the Spirit of Things, St. Augustine, Florida - Halloween Hauntings with Travel Writer Dave HunterI'm sitting in the haunted bedroom of a haunted inn, in St. Augustine, Florida, argu....   Read more...

Texas
Posted date : Jul 21, 2009.
Texas By: Gordon Garrison Texas - "IT'S LIKE A WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY"!  That proclamation appears on the cover of the state's maps, accommodation guides and brochures.&n....   Read more...

Explore Alberta
Posted date : Apr 30, 2009.
Alberta By: Gordon Garrison Explore Alberta - Alberta is Canada's fourth-largest province, so there is much to see and do. Let's start off by spending a couple of days (or longer) disc....   Read more...

Roads, Walls and Wheels - North England
Posted date : Dec 23, 2008.
Roads, Walls and Wheels - North England Roads, Walls and Wheels - North England - I want to take you on a journey along a very unusual road.  No, it's not an American interstate; in fact, it's made of rutted cobblestone....   Read more...

Myrtle Beach
Posted date : Dec 23, 2008.
Myrtle Beach By: Gordon Garrison Myrtle Beach - On our first drive to South Carolina a few years ago, my wife and I were welcomed by a sign which proudly announced that we had arrived at North M....   Read more...

The Allure of Oaxaca Mexico
Posted date : Sep 19, 2008.
Oaxaca Mexico By: Alvin Starkman The Allure of Oaxaca Mexico - Oaxaca has two main advantages over other southern destinations for Canadian snowbirds.  First, you can explore one of the most culturally ri....   Read more...

South Africa
Posted date : Jul 22, 2008.
South Africa By: Gordon Garrison South Africa - What wonderful experiences await you in this "World in One Country"! South Africa has more diversity than one's imagination could ever dream up. the s....   Read more...

Quebec City
Posted date : May 24, 2008.
Quebec City By: Gordon Garrison Quebec City - It is my firm belief that here in North America, the closest feeling to being in Europe can be found in Quebec City. And 2008 is surely the best year ....   Read more...

Costa Rica
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Costa Rica By: Gordon Garrison Costa Rica - When the very first set of European adventurers laid eyes upon this area off Central America, they wrote that this is indeed a very "rich coast." They....   Read more...

Lake Chapala Mexico
Posted date : Oct 17, 2007.
Lake Chapala Mexico Lake Chapala Mexico - Thousands of Canadians have abandoned their former winter snowbird destinations and are now happily living from one to 12 months of each year on the N....   Read more...

Switzerland: Somebody Has To Do It
Posted date : Oct 17, 2007.
Switzerland By: Dave Hunter Switzerland: Somebody Has To Do It - Autumn has not always been my favourite time of the year. I've never been much of a fan of winter and the "r" months meant that short days and frosty ....   Read more...

Discover Ontario
Posted date : Aug 07, 2007.
Discover Ontario by: Gordon Garrison Discover Ontario - When our friends from Denmark wrote to tell us of their plans to visit us last September, we were delighted. Another chance to show off our country, w....   Read more...

Yukon
Posted date : Jun 06, 2007.
The Yukon Dawson City by: Gordon Garrison Yukon - THE YUKON"...Some say God was tired when he made it;Some say it's a fine land to shun.Maybe; but there's some as would trade itFor no land on earth â€....   Read more...

Dr. Beach
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Dr. Beach Geomorphology: I turned to a coastal geomorphologist to find out what it meant. By Dr Gordon Garrison Dr. Beach - GEOMORPHOLOGY.You can be forgiven if you do not know the meaning of the word. I turned to a coastal geomorphologist to find out what it meant. Dr. Ste....   Read more...

Drive to Bermuda with Dave
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Drive to Bermuda with Dave By Dave Hunter Dave and Kathy Hunter take another unusual trip. Drive to Bermuda with Dave - It may surprise my I-75 readers to learn that Kathy and I love Bermuda. The U.S. expressways and Florida are where we work; Bermuda is where we go to ....   Read more...

Mackinac Island
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Mackinac Island - Have you ever wondered what it would be like to step into a machine and travel magically back to an earlier time? You would have to choose your era ve....   Read more...

Roanoke, Virginia
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Roanoke, Virginia - Roanoke is that unique type of town in which you can explore and imagine yourself living at the same time. In addition to its cozy atmosphere, this Vi....   Read more...

Tunisia
Posted date : May 28, 2007.
Tunisia - Until I visited Tunisia, Carthage, that page of history, that vague vestige of the past was associated in my mind with a man known as Hannibal, and an....   Read more...

Newfoundland and Labrador
Posted date : May 27, 2007.
Newfoundland and Labrador - Around 60 years ago, the term“Newfie Screech” came into our vernacular. It seems that during the Second World War, a lot of our enlisted personnel....   Read more...

America's Great Southwest
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
America's Great Southwest - The American Southwest encompasses a very large area. There are stories in every corner of this region, one of Mother Nature's true wonderlands. Where....   Read more...

Louisiana Rebirth: Restoring the SOUL of the U.S.
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
Louisiana Rebirth: Restoring the SOUL of the U.S. - If you're scanning a continental map and considering your next destination, let your eye wander to that intoxicating spot where the Mississippi River ....   Read more...

New Zealand
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
New Zealand - Kia Ora... That's how you are apt to be greeted in New Zealand. It's a Maori greeting, but almost everyone uses it, regardless of their personal back....   Read more...

Along Florida's Highways & Byways
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
Along Florida's Highways & Byways - How well do you know Florida? I've always wanted to write a book about Florida ... to share some of the adventures and special places I've enjoyed ov....   Read more...

Portugal
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
Portugal - The Portuguese, it seems, discovered North America long before Canadians and Americans discovered Portugal. As far back as the late 1700s, that countr....   Read more...

Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island - Why Hilton Head beats the Sun and Shine-ola out of – anywhere else. Among the greatest of America's writers, and the world's, Mark Twain once sai....   Read more...

Amazing Deals for Canadians Visiting Virginia
Amazing Deals for Canadians Visiting Virginia - During your trip south this summer, fall or winter, be sure to visit Virginia and take advantage of some excellent savings opportunities. The "2005 Lo....   Read more...

Visit Manitoba
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
Visit Manitoba - Assiniboine Park A hundred years ago, an ambitious councillor in Manitoba's capital city decided that he wanted to be mayor. In order to promote hi....   Read more...

Missouri
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
Missouri - Our quaint communities boast of Midwestern American charm. Jamesport in northwest Missouri celebrates the quiet Amish lifestyle, while Ste. Genevieve ....   Read more...

RVing in Mexico
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
RVing in Mexico - If you're looking for a new destination or a new mode of travel, why not travel to Mexico in an RV? My wife and I have made 9 extensive trips into Mex....   Read more...

Tarará: What's in a Name?
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
Tarará: What's in a Name? - The name Tarará carries an inherent suggestion of musicality, yet in Latin America, it can refer to very different topics. For instance, in Venezu....   Read more...

Between Two Seas - Panama Canal Cruise
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Between Two Seas - Panama Canal Cruise - The thought of covering two seas in a 10-day period was intriguing. Crossing the continent by way of the Panama Canal added to that intrigue. Especial....   Read more...

Retiree Visa Still Born - Should We Try Again?
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
Retiree Visa Still Born - Should We Try Again? - Entry into the United States on a long-term basis is currently based upon three concepts ­ family unity, employment creation, or humanitarian grounds....   Read more...

Louisiana...
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
Louisiana... - We've Got a Great Deal to Celebrate! Louisiana has long been a favourite travel destination for visitors from Canada because of its mild climate, uni....   Read more...

Australia
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
Australia - Australia ... the name itself conjures up images of a world far away, isolated in its existence. However, now more than ever tourists are seeking a 'd....   Read more...

Snowbirding in Cuba
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
Snowbirding in Cuba - Cuba's most important tourism company - Cubanacán - has developed a comprehensive proposal for your winter stay abroad. Aimed to satisfy Canadian ....   Read more...

Driving South
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
Driving South - Warm fall days, cool October evenings, dew on the early morning grass; as the weather changes, many of us - whether full-time Snowbirds, Winter Texans....   Read more...

Bermuda: A style All Its Own
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
Bermuda: A style All Its Own - Bermuda is the epitome of a luxury retirement destination. The island holds all the excitement and seduction of a Caribbean island and combines it wit....   Read more...

Preparing for This Year's Border Crossing
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
Preparing for This Year's Border Crossing - At the time of this update, the turmoil in the U.S. is still painfully fresh and there has been much discussion about our shared border. As many of yo....   Read more...

Barcelona: Built on Beauty
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
Barcelona: Built on Beauty - Spain is legendary throughout history for its beautiful and passionate Flamenco dancers, matadors, Latin lovers and its incredible countryside, which ....   Read more...

Border Relief?
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
Border Relief? - Hope comes in the form of an announcement that a joint study group will look at how to open the borders and create more of a North American community.....   Read more...

Introducing Places to Retire Inc.
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
Introducing Places to Retire Inc. - Places to Retire Inc. has emerged as a retirement destination expert. Led by Karen Schellinck, the president and CEO, the company has grown from stren....   Read more...

The Real Mexico
Posted date : Mar 08, 2007.
The Real Mexico - When you cross the ocean to visit the lands of Europe, Asia or Africa, there are expectations of a foreign language, different customs and strange foo....   Read more...

The Border "Mind Game"
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
The Border "Mind Game" - As you drive towards the U.S. border, does your heart beat a little faster? Do your palms become sweaty? Are you beginning to feel anxious? If so, it'....   Read more...

The Snowbird Border Crossing Kit
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
The Snowbird Border Crossing Kit - Entering the United States is rarely a problem for snowbirds who are Canadian citizens. Yet, being aggressively questioned by a United States Immigrat....   Read more...

Florida, Texas and Arizona
Posted date : Mar 04, 2007.
Florida, Texas and Arizona - You've been enjoying the warm weather at your winter destination of choice, but do you really know all it has to offer? Are you an adventurer or a cre....   Read more...

New Zealand
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
New Zealand - When we published a Bird Talk letter extolling the virtues of wintering in New Zealand, we had no idea how great the response would be. New Zealand's ....   Read more...

Mexico - Hotel Hacienda El Contadero
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
Mexico - Hotel Hacienda El Contadero - Patricia and I and our 10-year-old son, Sam, recently returned from the "real" Mexico, and I didn't even know it existed. My previous experiences of M....   Read more...

Customs Preclearance
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
Customs Preclearance - Federal legislation designed to give U.S. officers at Canadian airports wider search and detention powers is too sweeping and needs to be tempered, im....   Read more...