CSA Articles / From the Desk of Don Slinger

Back  

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 62
Posted date : Jun 06, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 62 - Hi Folks!It's great to report that Beth and I attended the recent Snowbird Extravaganza and CSA Annual General Meeting in Lakeland, Florida. It seems ....   Read more...

Our 58th Wedding Anniversary
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Our 58th Wedding Anniversary - Hi Folks! Back in August, Beth and I celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary by participating in a three-day mystery tour. The only information we ....   Read more...

Pension Benefits
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Pension Benefits - Hi Folks! If you have been a regular reader of this column, you will recall my comments about the pension plan that I and 2,300 other former employ....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 59
Posted date : May 28, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 59 - Hi Folks! As background information to the following experiences of a friend, who was an only child, I should tell you that I am one of eight child....   Read more...

The Folded Napkin
Posted date : May 27, 2007.
The Folded Napkin - Hi Folks, I hope everyone wintered well, whether you were down south, up north or in the warmth of your domain. The following story crossed my d....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 57
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 57 - Hi Folks! Being retired and with time on my hands, I have lots of opportunities to keep in touch with world events. Here is one of the most rec....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 56
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 56 - Hi Folks! My, how time flies. Back in June, Beth and I went to Guelph to celebrate my 55th alumni reunion. A large number of my classmates are no l....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 55
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 55 - Hi Folks! I just finished reading a book authored by Bill Bryson entitled, "A Short History of Nearly Everything." The author is not a scientis....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger - Hi Folks! Beth and I attended another very successful Snowbird Extravaganza and CSA Annual Meeting in Lakeland back in January. If you were within ....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 53
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 53 - Hi Folks! In the fall of 2003, I reported that some 2,000 pensioners in the same plan as mine had been receiving only 50 per cent of the pension en....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 52
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 52 - Hi Folks! In light of the many perversions and jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different. This is not intended to be a j....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 51
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 51 - Hi Folks! In March, while Beth and I were visiting a friend near Kitchener, Ontario, an article in a local paper, Grand River Life caught my eye. I....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 50
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 50 - Hi folks! For all you history buffs, I thought I would take this opportunity to broaden your knowledge of some activities and sayings that originat....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 49
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 49 - Hi folks! Have you ever taken an extended tour by coach? Until this summer we would have answered no to this question, but Beth and I celebrated ou....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 48
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 48 - Hi folks! If you have been keeping up to date with the news over the past year - I don't mean about wars and the strife inflicted because of aggre....   Read more...

A Philosophical Outlook on Life
Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.
A Philosophical Outlook on Life - Hi folks! She is 92 years old, petite, well poised and proud. She is fully dressed each morning by eight o?clock, with her hair fashionably coifed ....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 46
Posted date : Apr 15, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 46 - Hi folks!If you missed Snowbird Extravaganza 2003 ­ held in Lakeland, Florida on Jan 14 and 15 ­ too bad! Here is my synopsis: Superb! There w....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 45
Posted date : Apr 12, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 45 - Hi Folks! How good is your memory? Do you remember what a pain your teacher-assigned memory work was? Let's take a trip back in time together. ....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 44
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 44 - Hi Folks! The Ontario Snowbird Lifestyle Presentations have come and gone for another year. The quality of sponsors and entertainment just continues t....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 43
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 43 - Remember that refrain from many years ago? Well, back on May 10 ­12, 2002, an energetic committee from Guelph organized a 100th anniversary party for....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 42
Posted date : Apr 05, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 42 - Common Sense lived a long life, but died of a heart attack on the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 41
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 41 - Hi Folks!If there was ever a more appropriate time to publish the following poem, I can't think of one. With Armistice Day just past and September 11t....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 40
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 40 - HI FOLKS!Beth and I hope that the especially hot summer didn't cause anyone of our gang too much discomfort.We had a pleasant surprise this summer whe....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 30
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 30 - HI FOLKS!A history lesson is about to unfold. We can entitle it "You Never Know Who Might Need You Today."His name was Fleming and he was a poor Scott....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 38
Posted date : Mar 08, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 38 - HI FOLKS!Well, our seventh Snowbird Extravaganza has come and gone. If you winter in Florida and you missed the show ­ too bad. Our new location and ....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 37
Posted date : Mar 07, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 37 - I am writing this column in the first week of November, while Beth is busy packing for our winter months in Florida.I can recall that we came to an ag....   Read more...

A philosophical look at The Present
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
A philosophical look at The Present - Hi Folks!I magine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls. You name them Work, Family, Health, Friends and Spirit and you are keeping....   Read more...

My how time changes things!
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
My how time changes things! - My how time changes things!Over the years, I've watched an evolution in our snowbird community. Three distinct groups of retirees have emerged, each a....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 34
Posted date : Mar 04, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 34 - Hi Folks! Lest we forget. A simple three-word phrase repeated by many but understood by few. What better time for a veteran of the Second World War to....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 33
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 33 - Hi FolksIt's that time of year again, to put the final touches to your travelling plans. Having enjoyed the snowbird lifestyle for a number of years n....   Read more...

From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 32
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
From the Desk of Don Slinger Issue 32 - Last fall, I was asked by the Ontario Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations to serve on the Board of the Travel Industry Council of Ontario (T....   Read more...

Snowbird Extravaganza 1999!
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
Snowbird Extravaganza 1999! - Hi folks! Congratulations to all the folks who made this event even better than last year's. We had a trailer-load of service and product displays,....   Read more...