CSA Articles / The Leeder Outlook

Back  

In Memoriam
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
In Memoriam - William "Bill" C. Leeder, 70, of Auburndale, Florida, died on Monday, October 10, 2005 at his residence. Many Canadian snowbirds knew Bill well from t....   Read more...

The Aussies Know How to Do It!
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
The Aussies Know How to Do It! - Wow! What a year 2005 was for tropical storms, hurricanes and tornadoes in the southern United States, and yes, even in some of Canada's provinces. Hu....   Read more...

Is It Better Who You Know, Or What You Know?
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
Is It Better Who You Know, Or What You Know? - During a recent chat with several of my American friends who also happen to be retired newsmen, it was brought to my attention that the Canadian media....   Read more...

A New Disaster? Yes, It's FEMA
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
A New Disaster? Yes, It's FEMA - The 2004 hurricane season saw four destructive hurricanes touching land in the United States during a seven-week period in August and September. Three....   Read more...

Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris...Have you heard of this before?
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris...Have you heard of this before? - What I'm about to tell you is somewhat personal, but it's so unusual that I wanted to pass it on to you. And for those of you who were (are) wondering....   Read more...

Being followed by Charley, Frances and Jeanne
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
Being followed by Charley, Frances and Jeanne - I have lived in Florida for 27 years, so I have met all kinds of pesky little bugs, insects, lizards, wild boar, gators (not the football kind) and sn....   Read more...

When Crossing The Border...
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
When Crossing The Border... - By far, the majority of Canadians have very little trouble entering the U.S. Over the years, I have heard lots of stories about how easy it is – and....   Read more...

Finally, a Response From the IRS…You Might Be in for a Big Surprise!
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Finally, a Response From the IRS…You Might Be in for a Big Surprise! - In my last column, I talked about the validity of filing the U.S. Closer Connection Exception Statement, Form 8840. I told you that I was waiting for ....   Read more...

To File or Not to File? 8840
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
To File or Not to File? 8840 - I do not mean to be repetitive BUT... I can't remember how many times I have written about the Closer Connection Exception Statement (Form 8840) fili....   Read more...

Will the Strong Dollar be Influential?
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
Will the Strong Dollar be Influential? - The Canadian dollar is the strongest it has been against the U.S. dollar for many a year and it has many snowbirds looking forward to spending the win....   Read more...

Planning a Can/Am Event, Canada or Provincial Day?
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
Planning a Can/Am Event, Canada or Provincial Day? - I'm sure that most of you who are involved in the planning of social events during your stay in the sunbelt are now busy gathering your Canada souveni....   Read more...

Getting to Meet You!
Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.
Getting to Meet You! - As always, I thoroughly enjoy meeting my fellow Canadians at the many social events throughout Florida. And all the talk about fewer Canadians winteri....   Read more...

It is time to get serious!
Posted date : Apr 15, 2007.
It is time to get serious! - During the many social events I visited throughout Florida, I must admit that I was impressed with the positive attitude of most Canadians. Considerin....   Read more...

It's Reminder Time!
Posted date : Apr 12, 2007.
It's Reminder Time! - It's that time of year when I like to remind you about certain programs and activities that could be important to you. Let's start by reminding you ab....   Read more...

Want to Find a Couple of Bucks?
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
Want to Find a Couple of Bucks? - It is hunting season in some parts of Canada and the U.S. and this winter season as a Canadian Snowbird (whether you're a hunter or not) you will prob....   Read more...

Have you heard this before?
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
Have you heard this before? - I'm sure that, on many occasions, you've heard it said that "Canadian snowbirds are very conservative" (notice I didn't say cheap) when it comes to sp....   Read more...

90% of Snowbirds Not Intimidated by Terrorism
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
90% of Snowbirds Not Intimidated by Terrorism - I am impressed with the courage of Canadian Snowbirds! According to a survey conducted in late September and early October of U.S. winter travellers, ....   Read more...

CSANews Visits With...
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
CSANews Visits With... - Last winter was a busy one! I spent a lot of time visiting various social events throughout Florida on behalf of the CSA and Medipac International. It....   Read more...

You Are Far Too Nice!
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
You Are Far Too Nice! - When you called this toll-free number 1-877-633-4722, to order the CSA table placemats for that pot-luck dinner, picnic, Canada Day, sports tournament....   Read more...

You could have fooled me!
Posted date : Mar 08, 2007.
You could have fooled me! - There might be fewer of you Canadian snowbirds spending the winter in the sun belt, but boy, oh boy, are you active! So you could have fooled me--beca....   Read more...

Placemats are Back!
Posted date : Mar 07, 2007.
Placemats are Back! - Last year, we provided a whopping 143,000 dinner-table placemats to Canadians and to our American friends wintering in the Sunbelt, and I'm happy to r....   Read more...

Wow, Where Did Summer Go?
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
Wow, Where Did Summer Go? - Canadian Club of Ocala: Pic 1The Canadian Club of Ocala (Florida) invited me to their January Luncheon. Here are some of the active members. L to R, B....   Read more...

What happened to Canada News?
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
What happened to Canada News? - This is a question that I've been asked many times since "The Weekly Newspaper Keeping Canadians In the Sunbelt Informed" stopped publishing last Febr....   Read more...

Sorry, but you need a Green Card!
Posted date : Mar 04, 2007.
Sorry, but you need a Green Card! - My previous column about my working at Walt Disney World last summer generated quite a few phone calls about the legality of a Canadian snowbird worki....   Read more...

Boredom – It's for Real!
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
Boredom – It's for Real! - I bet most of you out there have been bored with your lifestyle at least one or more times during your retirement. And I'll also bet that you were abl....   Read more...

I'M IMPRESSED
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
I'M IMPRESSED - It has been one year since I joined the team at Medipac, and I'm pleased to say that I'm impressed with their tenacity towards serving the Canadian Sn....   Read more...

On the road again!
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
On the road again! - I was invited to many Snowbird events this winter and I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. As I mentioned earlier, it's amazing how much enthusiasm....   Read more...