CSA Articles / CSA Online

Back  

Using the Internet For Travel
Posted date : Sep 02, 2011.
Using the Internet For Travel - Whether you're a veteran traveller to the sunny south or a greenhorn making the journey for the first time, the Internet can be your best friend a....   Read more...

Search Engines – Not Just For Finding Websites Any More
Posted date : May 06, 2011.
Search Engines – Not Just For Finding Websites Any More - It used to be that you only went to a search engine to find a website. Well, not any more! Now, search engines offer many different features.G....   Read more...

Podcasts
Posted date : Dec 16, 2010.
Podcasts - What is a podcast?A podcast is a computer file, usually audio and sometimes video, which can be listened to on, or downloaded from the Internet.Think ....   Read more...

Cleaning Your Computer
Posted date : Jul 20, 2010.
Cleaning Your Computer - Keeping it simple is the best way to deal with computer cleaning. I would not recommend opening the tower if you are not familiar with the inside comp....   Read more...

Protect Your Identity and Your Computer
Posted date : May 27, 2010.
Protect Your Identity and Your Computer - Many computer users are blissfully unaware of the degree to which virus and malware threaten our computing safety and security. According to published....   Read more...

Become a computer-wise grandparent
Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.
Become a computer-wise grandparent - The grandchildren have left and the house seems empty, so you go to your computer to write them a message. To your dismay, the computer will n....   Read more...

Computer Maintenance and Safety Tips
Posted date : Sep 22, 2009.
Computer Maintenance and Safety Tips - From the numerous e-mails that I receive on a daily basis, it is apparent that most computer problems are software related. Hardware rarely fails ....   Read more...

Your Health and Your Computer
Posted date : Jul 21, 2009.
Your Health and Your Computer - Did you know that learning how to work on your computer and navigate the Internet is not the most important part of computing? The fact is,your wo....   Read more...

Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
Posted date : Apr 30, 2009.
Protect Yourself from Identity Theft - Protect yourself from identity theftThere's been a lot of talk over the past several years about identity theft: a kind of fraud in which a crook ....   Read more...

The cutting edge of keeping in touch
Posted date : Dec 23, 2008.
The cutting edge of keeping in touch - Technology is making it easier to stay in contact with friends and family. There's a lot to love about going south for the winter. One of the drawbac....   Read more...

Snowbirds.org - updated to serve you better!
Posted date : Sep 19, 2008.
Snowbirds.org - updated to serve you better! - Since its grand debut in 2000, the official website of the Canadian Snowbird Association has been providing pertinent information to travelling Ca....   Read more...

www.HealthyCanadians.ca
Posted date : Jul 22, 2008.
www.HealthyCanadians.ca - Part of Canada’s Food and Consumer Safety Action PlanThe government of Canada has launched a website aimed at providing Canadians with access to the....   Read more...

www.Dietitians.ca
Posted date : May 24, 2008.
www.Dietitians.ca - Once upon a time, no cared what they ate or how often they exercised. Trans-fat, empty calories and sedentary lifestyles went virtually unnoticed ....   Read more...

Give Your Old Slides and Photos a Make-Over: Digitize Them!
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Give Your Old Slides and Photos a Make-Over: Digitize Them! - It’s time to do something productive with the old shoe box collecting dust in the bottom of your closet. You know – the one containing the 529 sli....   Read more...

What a Wonderful World!
Posted date : Oct 17, 2007.
What a Wonderful World! - Would you like to see the wonders of the world from the comfort of your own home? I am not talking about television; I am writing about the wonderful ....   Read more...

MedlinePlus
Posted date : Aug 07, 2007.
MedlinePlus - Recently, I was introduced to a website called MedlinePlus.  At first glance, it appeared a little daunting.  It's big!  It is an Ameri....   Read more...

You Ought to be in Pictures!
Posted date : Jun 06, 2007.
You Ought to be in Pictures! - One of the most precious items which a family has is its photographs. Our family tends to keep our pictorial history in those neat little envelopes fr....   Read more...

Online Resources for Snowbirds - WebMD
Posted date : Jun 01, 2007.
Online Resources for Snowbirds - WebMD - Many people use the Internet for immediate practical purposes - finding a phone number, directions, quick answers to questions that have been dogging ....   Read more...

Mind Your Manners When Sending E-mails
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Mind Your Manners When Sending E-mails - Now that e-mail messaging is the most dominant form of communication, it has been necessary for people to establish a set of informal online rules, of....   Read more...

Tips for Shopping on eBay
Posted date : May 28, 2007.
Tips for Shopping on eBay - If you have Internet access, you've probably visited the eBay website at one time or another. eBay is the largest online auction site in the world, al....   Read more...

The Wired Snowbird III: Laptop Shopping Tips
Posted date : May 27, 2007.
The Wired Snowbird III: Laptop Shopping Tips - Snowbirds travel light. As you pack for another season in the sun, you’re grateful that you’ve learned the fine art of portability. But what about....   Read more...

You CAN Vote – Even if You're Away.
Posted date : May 25, 2007.
You CAN Vote – Even if You're Away. - The federal election is fast approaching. For those of you already down south, don't think that you can't vote because you're not in Canada. This is n....   Read more...

The Dawn of a New Age
Posted date : May 23, 2007.
The Dawn of a New Age - A recent Ipsos-Reid study revealed that Internet usage has finally surpassed the original electronic medium – radio. The study focused on "Internet-....   Read more...

The Wired Snowbird II: Hotel Connections
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
The Wired Snowbird II: Hotel Connections - The long day's trek is behind you and at last you haul your suitcase into your hotel room, lie back, put your feet up and let the travel tension drain....   Read more...

The Wired Snowbird: Travels with my Laptop
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
The Wired Snowbird: Travels with my Laptop - You're thousands of miles from your snow-bound home, basking in the midday rays, when a nagging doubt arises: wasn't there a gas bill due about now ba....   Read more...

Online Anywhere
Posted date : May 17, 2007.
Online Anywhere - Internet on a dish? Yes, it's true. However, that satellite dish you have been using to "steal" Canadian broadcast signals while you are in the south....   Read more...

Television Technology
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
Television Technology - I've lived in Toronto since I was five and, until recently, I have always had a CRT (cathode ray tube) television. My last television was a 32" Sony w....   Read more...

Get the Party Started - With Evite Online Invitations!
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
Get the Party Started - With Evite Online Invitations! - Need to send out invitations for an event? Don't bother using costly cards and snail mail. Rather, turn to the Internet to create and send fun and inn....   Read more...

Always Find Your Way with GPS
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Always Find Your Way with GPS - The world is ever-changing with new technologies coming to market to offer new products and services that will make life simpler, more exciting and sa....   Read more...

Spyware
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
Spyware - With all the things that are good with the Internet, there will always be some accompanying bad (I wanted to say crap, but I think it will be edited o....   Read more...

AOL User Fee and How to Get Around Them
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
AOL User Fee and How to Get Around Them - As many services come of age, they evolve their pricing strategies, and you, the customer, begins to see the start of nickel-and-diming practices. Wel....   Read more...

Movie Maker
Posted date : Apr 25, 2007.
Movie Maker - Television has come a long way in the last 30 years. You now have more stations than you do fingers, a clearer picture, better sound and, to give cred....   Read more...

Spam - The Scourge of the Internet
Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.
Spam - The Scourge of the Internet - In the earlier BC (Before Computers) years, "spam" was an off-the-shelf, canned meat of mystery. Hardly anyone I grew up with ate it, or at least admi....   Read more...

Go Digital For Pictures
Posted date : Apr 15, 2007.
Go Digital For Pictures - January 2003 was my first foray at Snowbird Extravaganza in Lakeland, Florida. No bias here, but how can anyone not visit this two-day spectacle. Ever....   Read more...

Hey, That's My Information!
Posted date : Apr 12, 2007.
Hey, That's My Information! - Well...it's that time of year again. Get your credit cards ready for another season of gift buying (my shirt size is 16 x 33). Last year, I wrote abou....   Read more...

Online News
Posted date : Apr 09, 2007.
Online News - My morning ritual, outside of bathing, shaving (not my legs) and dressing for work, was going through the morning paper to keep current on the daily n....   Read more...

Staying In Touch
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
Staying In Touch - "Of course you can do it," I told my mother who, at age 82, was very doubtful that the computer would become her friend. Every year, my husband and I ....   Read more...

How a Search Engine Works 101
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
How a Search Engine Works 101 - I wish it were easy to search for things on the Web - someone would simply point a finger and exclaim ... there. Next to e-mail, searching the Web is ....   Read more...

The Web: That's Entertainment!
Posted date : Apr 05, 2007.
The Web: That's Entertainment! - We have all surfed from site to site and viewed countless pages of information that we have used. Have we tried using our computers as a new platform ....   Read more...

Shopping Online for Gifts!
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
Shopping Online for Gifts! - By the time you read this column, I will have finished my Christmas shopping and already decorated our home to celebrate the year's most important hol....   Read more...

A Little Knowledge Can Be A Dangerous Thing!!!
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
A Little Knowledge Can Be A Dangerous Thing!!! - I've been working in the computer industry for 20 years and have seen, and been a part of, the introduction of mini-computers, personal computers and ....   Read more...

Why you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
Why you need Adobe Acrobat Reader. - There is no doubt that if you are an Internet user, you have come across a need for Acrobat Reader to view information you have downloaded. The Reader....   Read more...

Instant Messenger - More than just e-mail!
Posted date : Mar 08, 2007.
Instant Messenger - More than just e-mail! - If you've ever waited hours or days for someone to respond to e-mail messages, you might benefit from using an Instant Messenger (IM). An IM is a prog....   Read more...

'Tis the Season To Go Shopping
Posted date : Mar 07, 2007.
'Tis the Season To Go Shopping - Last Christmas, I placed an order online for some gifts for my kids, with an Internet book retailer who shall remain nameless and, in spite of assuran....   Read more...

A Word about "Word"
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
A Word about "Word" - Here in the CSA offices, we get many calls from members asking for help with the operation and use of their PCs. Unfortunately, we aren't really equip....   Read more...

Virtual Common Sense
Posted date : Mar 05, 2007.
Virtual Common Sense - Have you ever had a conversation with someone and felt that something just wasn't on the level? Sometimes you can't put your finger on it...but you kn....   Read more...

AOL Announces Huge Price Reduction
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
AOL Announces Huge Price Reduction - Great news for all AOL Canada members. AOL Canada has announced that, as of December 16, 1999 the unlimited use charge will be dropped to $22.95CAD pe....   Read more...

Travelling On Line
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
Travelling On Line - This year, when making your list of 'Things to do before I leave,' be sure to include 'Set up Computer.' As with many things, a little advance prepara....   Read more...

Radio Online
Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.
Radio Online - The use of e-mail has certainly changed the way we all function in the world, increasing both the speed and frequency of communications. For many of u....   Read more...

Anonymous Email
Posted date : Mar 01, 2007.
Anonymous Email - Many of us have now experienced the wealth of information that is available on the Internet. Unfortunately, if you spend any time online, or have an e....   Read more...