CSA Articles / General

Back  

Helping Snowbirds Fight Cancer: A Ray of Hope in the Sunshine State
Posted date : Dec 06, 2010.
Helping Snowbirds Fight Cancer: A Ray of Hope in the Sunshine State - The Cancer Support Community is an ideal environment for snowbirds fighting cancer: welcoming outdoor gardens in the warm Florida sun, gentle fitness ....   Read more...

Special Tribute to Gordon Garrison
Posted date : Jul 21, 2009.
Special Tribute to Gordon Garrison - In MemoriamGordon "Gord" Garrison, contributing travel writer for CSANews magazine, passed away on May 1, 2009 at his winter residence in St. Petersbu....   Read more...

Birding for Beginners
Posted date : May 24, 2008.
Birding for Beginners - One of the best things about seasonal migrations is being able to take in the best of the great outdoors year-round. Snowbirds' return north coincides....   Read more...

Busch Gardens and SeaWorld
Posted date : May 22, 2008.
Busch Gardens and SeaWorld - Long-known for creating one-of-a-kind adventures and interactive experiences with the natural world, central Florida's Worlds of Discovery parks – B....   Read more...

Southern Gardening in the North
Posted date : Aug 07, 2007.
Southern Gardening in the North - I spend many days on the road as a travel writer gathering new material for my “Interstate-75” and “Florida” books…and so it probably comes ....   Read more...

Snowbird Survey 2006
Posted date : May 30, 2007.
Snowbird Survey 2006 - The results are in! And we must say – Canadians, or rather Canadian Snowbirds, are a true symbol of democracy and a shining example of how Canadi....   Read more...

For thy Sake, Tobacco
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
For thy Sake, Tobacco - Those who travel to Cuba will discover the tempting charms that lure more than two million visitors every year – the mysterious realm of pleasures, ....   Read more...

A Proud Member of the CSA
Posted date : May 20, 2007.
A Proud Member of the CSA - I am a proud member of the Canadian Snowbird Association. Why? I want the freedom to travel where I want and when I wish to go. I want the opportun....   Read more...

The Best Bargains in Golf
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
The Best Bargains in Golf - Now there is great news for anyone travelling south this year who hopes to include golf in their plans. I'm a lifelong golf addict who has crossed Nor....   Read more...

Southern Shopping
Posted date : May 16, 2007.
Southern Shopping - Wherever you are in the sunny south, there's always shopping close by. Dave and Kathy Hunter visit some of the local farmers' and produce markets in t....   Read more...

Hurricane Charley
Posted date : May 15, 2007.
Hurricane Charley - The physical damage caused by Hurricane Charley is easy to see. Just look at these images. Soon enough, though, the debris will be removed, houses wil....   Read more...

Tantalizing Tales from the Sunny South
Tantalizing Tales from the Sunny South - KATHY AND I LOVE CHASING UNUSUAL stories when in the South and, over the last 10 years, we've had some intriguing successes. Several years ago, we ....   Read more...

Golf Hidden Bargins
Golf Hidden Bargins - I can't count the number of times I have driven south over the years and unknowingly, along the way, passed by some of golf's greatest values. For ....   Read more...

Travel Health Insurance: Why You Need It?
Travel Health Insurance: Why You Need It? - Every senior person who likes to travel south each winter contemplates the necessity of choosing a travel health insurance policy that is affordable a....   Read more...

Snowbird Survey 2004
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Snowbird Survey 2004 - CSA members are still the most dedicated and committed people I have ever seen in any organization. Thousands of you took the time to respond to our s....   Read more...

Travel Insurance Myths - Our Personal Story
Posted date : May 10, 2007.
Travel Insurance Myths - Our Personal Story - We have been travelling to Texas for many years. In all that time, neither of us has ever been really ill. We have been to the doctor a few times, but....   Read more...

Our Southern Winter Wonderland
Posted date : May 05, 2007.
Our Southern Winter Wonderland - We are so fortunate that we live in a country with cozy homes, central heat and comfortable, airtight cars. Perhaps we take them for granted, but we w....   Read more...

How I Accidentally Flew a Wright Flying Machine
Posted date : May 02, 2007.
How I Accidentally Flew a Wright Flying Machine - Dec. 17, 2003, marks the 100th anniversary of the first powered flight of a heavier-than-air machine, when Orville Wright of Dayton, Ohio, flew the fi....   Read more...

Touched by an Angel
Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.
Touched by an Angel - Has your life ever been touched by an angel? A stranger...someone from outside your family circle who has affected you in such a deep and profound way....   Read more...

RV Park Style
Posted date : Apr 06, 2007.
RV Park Style - That is a question many snowbirds and RV park residents are asking in light of Florida's newest legislative changes. And, it's one that Florida legisl....   Read more...

Revitalizing After Retirement
Posted date : Apr 05, 2007.
Revitalizing After Retirement - What do you really want now that you've retired? Is it the chance to fulfil your travel dreams? Is it time to volunteer for causes that you're passion....   Read more...

Your Vehicle and Summer Travel
Your Vehicle and Summer Travel - Summer travel season will soon be upon us. Many will take advantage of the warmer weather and good road conditions and embark on another fun-filled ho....   Read more...

You can make a difference
You can make a difference - In the fall 2001 issue of CSA News, editor Ross Quigley noted that the outpouring of kindness, selflessness and caring following the events of Sept. 1....   Read more...

Counting Alligator Teeth
Posted date : Apr 03, 2007.
Counting Alligator Teeth - Did you know that two out of five Florida swamp alligators have bad breath? They do...and I should know since I've been surrounded by them and within ....   Read more...

Delta Airlines ­Flight 15
Delta Airlines ­Flight 15 - This is a moving first-hand account of a Delta airlines flight attendant on board Delta Flight 15, which was diverted to Gander, Newfoundland on Septe....   Read more...

Car Service You Can Trust
Car Service You Can Trust - Does the thought of getting your car repaired make you cringe, because you're never really satisfied with the quality of repair service?If so, you're ....   Read more...

Stop and Smell the Roses
Posted date : Apr 01, 2007.
Stop and Smell the Roses - The view was breathtaking! Below us lay a luxurious forest, rolling fields, a sparkling river, and so many colours that an artist's palette pales in c....   Read more...

Broadcast Legend: Celebrating 50 Years on Radio
Broadcast Legend: Celebrating 50 Years on Radio - Sitting around the dining-room table in his compact Toronto bungalow, veteran broadcaster Earl Warren suddenly surprises me with a secret wish. If he ....   Read more...

Elder Abuse
Elder Abuse - When Dr. Elizabeth Podnieks, a Toronto nurse educator, first began taking her students into hospitals, she realized that older people were not being t....   Read more...

Care Care
Care Care - The purchase of a car is one of the major purchases you make in your life. It may not be a living thing, but if you want to ensure it a long life, you....   Read more...

Adventure on the high seas!
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
Adventure on the high seas! - Have you ever had a desire to do something . . . a desire that was so strong you knew that if you ever achieved it, it would touch you for the rest of....   Read more...

And the Survey Says...2001
Posted date : Mar 09, 2007.
And the Survey Says...2001 - Amazing! CSA members are the most dedicated and committed people we have ever seen in any organization. Thousands of you took the time to respond to o....   Read more...

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Retirement
Posted date : Mar 06, 2007.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Retirement - Lifestyle and Retirement Planning speaker Barry LaValley is a 40-something aging baby boomer caught in the struggle between remembering the Beatles an....   Read more...

Millenium
Posted date : Mar 04, 2007.
Millenium - At midnight on December 31, 1999, we will become part of a worldwide fraternity. Though membership will number in the billions, we are the ones who wi....   Read more...

Salute to Vienna
Posted date : Mar 04, 2007.
Salute to Vienna - Since 1939, Vienna's annual "Neujahrskonzert" has heralded the New Year with a celebration of Strauss waltzes, marches and polkas, performed by the Vi....   Read more...

Snowbird Survival Guide
Posted date : Mar 03, 2007.
Snowbird Survival Guide - SURVIVING THE U.S. DOLLAR In another time, the Canadian dollar was worth a lot of money . . . $1.05 U.S. We loved it; Canadians would head off to the ....   Read more...