CSANews 92 - page 9

FALL 2014
Lesson learned. On arriving home in April, the
bank adjusted Kathy’s debit card to a summer
expiry date.
A similar situation occurred with our home
insurance renewal a few years ago. As a result,
we had our insurance company change all of
our renewal dates (home, car, etc.) to a summer
month, so that we would be home and able to
handle any complications.
Snowbirds might want to make similar
adjustments to winter months’renewals, to
avoid similar situations. Being a six-month
snowbird with no family back on the home
front can certainly be interesting at times.
Dave Hunter, author/broadcaster
“Along Interstate-75”
– the Florida snowbird’s
“Along Florida’s Expressways”
– endorsed and
used by VisitFlorida.
Ed: Thanks, Dave and Kathy. Have U.S. renewal
dates for everything U.S. come due when you
are in the U.S. The renewal dates for everything
Canadian should renewwhen you are in Canada,
of course. And don’t forget your passport and
driver’s licence, too.
Dear Bird Talk,
Inadvertently, I have done something really
stupid. I made an honest mistake muddling up
my days spent in the U.S. for 2013 and only now
realize that I was in the U.S. for more than my
allotted 182 days...by six days (188). Am I the
first idiot to have ever done this? I have been
to the States two or three times since then,
blissfully unaware of my error, and there was
no problem at the border. I did read the CSA
“heads up”that the U.S. and Canada border
services do not yet share dates of entry and
exit, but that they eventually will. What advice
would you give me? I am happy to apply for a
“Waiver Pardon”or something. Ideally, I would
like to spend at least some of this winter at our
Florida house – if only to get it ready to rent –
and then I could wait out a year while applying
for this“pardon,”but it does seem like a storm
in a teacup! Any avenues or advice would be
gratefully received.
Andrew G.
Ed: The names have been changed to protect
the innocent! A new effective date has not been
established, but soon there will be a full border
information exchange between the U.S. and
Canada. My advice is to ignore the past issues
and just comply with the laws going forward.
IF you are asked by the border guards how long
you spent in the U.S. last year, I would just say “six
months.” If you start to parse the number of days,
they get suspicious. There is noWaiver Pardon,
but you can apply for extended stays which are
often granted if you have a good reason. They
take months to process, so apply well in advance.
We really need our Snowbird Visa, so that all of
these problems will disappear.
Dear BirdTalk,
There have been many questions regarding
the wisdom of submitting a form 8840 to the
IRS and it certainly makes sense to do this.
Would you please provide clarification on two
points? First, we are assuming that both my
wife and I must submit separate forms. Is this
correct? Second, can these be submitted at
any time during the year, or should we wait to
submit it nearer to their normal tax deadline
which I understand is mid-June? Thank you for
the excellent advice and service that you are
providing to all snowbirds.
Doug Hodgins
Bobcaygeon, ON
Salt Spring Island, BC
Ed: Both you and your wife should file the 8840
and I would tend to file it when you file your
Canadian taxes, just so that it acts as a reminder.
Any time between January 1 and the end of June
of the following year is fine.
Featuring the letters
& concerns of our
Bird Talk, c/o CSANews
180 Lesmill Road
Toronto, Ontario M3B 2T5
or by e-mail:
Bird Talk
Our comments on the gun issue woke up every advocate in the CSA, for both sides. Their comments ranged from“they only want a gun
to shoot someone” to“how dare they restrict our right to bear arms and defend ourselves.”The following comments, from someone who
has obviously had some direct experience with this, are worth repeating.
“In general, non-immigrant aliens are
prohibited from possessing or receiving
firearms or ammunition in the United States.
There are exceptions to this prohibition,
including: (1) a non-immigrant alien in
possession of a valid hunting license or permit
issued by a State within the United States,
and (2) a non-immigrant alien in possession
of an invitation or registration to attend a
competitive target shooting event or sports or
hunting trade show sponsored by a national,
State, or local organization devoted to the
collection, competitive use, or other sporting
use of firearms.”
This quote is from the back of Form 6NIA, which
is used to import firearms into the U.S. with
detailed information and subsequent approval
of the ATF. My personal experience has been
that, since 9/11, not only do you have to prove
residence in a state of the U.S., you must also be
a U.S. citizen to purchase firearms directly from
a dealer. Your comment that“We know that we
can buy a gun easily at the local gun show”is
extremely misleading and totally untrue – there
may be a few exceptions, but this is not a“fairly
simple process.”
Your reference to the ATT (Authorization to
Transport) is only required for Canadians to
transport restricted or prohibited firearms
in Canada and is issued by each province.
Generally, for simplicity, this would be required
for all hand guns, but there are many non-
hand-gun others, too. The individual with
registered hand guns would require the
registration certificate for each firearm, a valid
PAL (Possession and Acquisition License), an
approved Form 6 from the ATF and a temporary
ATT specifying the location (usually home
residence of the hand gun owner) to the border
crossing(s) and the approximate dates going
and returning from Canada to the U.S. Unless
there have been changes of which I am not
aware, long guns (rifles and shotguns) would
not require the use of an ATT – prohibited
firearms would be an exception.
The only other exception for Canadians owning
or possessing guns in the U.S. would be those
grandfathered owners who met all of the
resident requirements prior to 9/11 and who
purchased guns legally in the U.S.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,...56
Powered by FlippingBook