Home Insurance

Winter 2009 CSANews Issue 73  |   Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
Dear Bird Talk,

Our insurance company requires that the house be checked every two days in order that we are covered. Are there any companies out there that do this for a small fee or is it better to hire someone yourself?

Sandra Green
Barrie, ON

Response :
Ed.: All companies have some type of requirement with respect to providing coverage for water damage to the residence while you are absent during the normal heating season. The time frame required for these visits can vary, so it is important to check with your insurance company with respect to their specific time frame. I’m sure that you would be able to arrange for a property manager of some type to visit on a regular basis, but most of our clients comply with this requirement by making arrangements with a trustworthy neighbour, friend or relative to visit their home periodically while they are away.
The visitation requirement is not the only option to ensure that your water damage coverage remains intact while you are away. You could turn off the water supply and drain the plumbing system, including any domestic water containers that may be hooked into your plumbing system. Some insurance carriers, including RSA (Royal and SunAlliance) allow the coverage to remain intact if you have had your dwelling protected by a monitored heating alarm that is connected to a station providing 24-hour service, to ensure that heating is being maintained.

Back to list | More articles