Texas ID's

Winter 2009 CSANews Issue 73  |   Posted date : Dec 12, 2009.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
Dear Bird Talk,

We were told by a few agencies in Texas to apply for an ID card. However, on trying this morning to apply, we have found out that the requirements to qualify for this card have changed. You now need to be in the U.S. for longer than the allowed six months and need to have a valid Form I - 94. Just in case others also think they qualify.

Jeanette Perreault
Sherwood Park, AB

Response :
Ed.: Since the Patriot Act has come into effect in the U.S., many of the conveniences we enjoyed with the help of “local” U.S. identification have been repealed. No more local driver’s licences, no more state identification cards and, in many cases, that also means fewer discounts. Many municipal facilities such as zoos, golf courses and even theme parks offer discounts with proof of residency. These are being phased out one by one and state by state. We should all appeal to the local politicians, as it is likely that they may not be aware of the consequences or ripple effect of these laws, and the possible loss of tourism dollars. In the post-9/11 world, there will be much resistance in returning things to the way they were.

Back to list | More articles