Special Car Insurance Needed for Snowbirds

Summer 2011 CSANews Issue 79  |   Posted date : Jul 08, 2011.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
I have been following up with The Co-operators since the article in the winter magazine. They have been giving confusing information until finally, a policy was issued in late April. If anyone has a vehicle outside of your home province for more than 59 days, they will not be insured unless they pay an extra premium from day one. This premium is based on Toronto rates, so the increase depends on where you live. It could double or triple your daily rate while you are away. They now plan to notify all policy-holders. Please note - this is for anywhere outside of your province of residence.

John Dunn
Garden Hill, ON

Response :
Ed: They should notify their agents as well, since that is where confusion often arises. Most companies have very specific policies on removing your vehicle from your province of residence for more than 30 days. The Co-Operators' policy is quite liberal in allowing up to 59 days. The problem usually arises when a serious bodily injury claim is incurred and there is a lot of money on the line.

There is a section in most automobile insurance policies that puts the onus on you, the insured, to notify the company of any "material change in risk." Having your car in a foreign country for an extended period of time IS a material change in risk. Your claim can, and probably will, be denied. The CSA Auto/Home Program is probably your best option.

Back to list | More articles