Car Registration

Spring 2014 CSANews Issue 90  |   Posted date : May 12, 2014.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
Dear Bird Talk,
We winter in Apache Junction, Arizona. Over the years, we have been driving back and forth. We want to start flying back and forth. We want to leave our Alberta car here and fly. Can we register our car in Arizona, or do we have to take it back to the Canada/U.S. border? We are members of the CSA.
Glen Groome
St. Albert, AB

Response :
Ed.: Some people do this, but it is illegal. You have imported a vehicle to the United States and you must register it in the U.S. and pay the applicable import duties and taxes. This is not difficult, but it is time-consuming. Our simple solution was to sell our Canadian car in Canada and to buy a new one in the U.S.; cars can be quite inexpensive, if you shop for the right deal. Make sure that you use a trickle charger or remove the battery terminals when leaving your car for an extended period of time.

Back to list | More articles