Criminal charge from the past prohibits entry into U.S.

Spring 2015 CSANews Issue 94  |   Posted date : Jun 16, 2015.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
Dear Bird Talk,
I saw this on Facebook this a.m. Is it true? Don Peddle posted: Yesterday morning, I dropped off a buddy at the airport to fly to the states. When he got to Newark customs, they refused to let him into the states. The reason was that he had an impaired charge 32 years ago. Ten years ago, he got an official pardon from the Canadian government. Guess what? No good. They require you to have a U.S. waiver in order to get into the states. It all changed as of January 1, he was told. So any little charge and you will be turned back. I suggest that anybody who has a vacation booked to the states who had a little incident with the law years ago call and get the waiver papers fixed up, or you’re going to be disappointed at customs. You would think that the travel agents would inform people of the changes. A pardon is no good. You need a waiver from the U.S. Consulate. And that’s in Halifax. You can get the papers, but it takes up to four or five weeks. You could go last year with no problem. But the guy told my friend that the law has changed. If you know anybody going south, let them know.
Elizabeth Ferrie,

Response :
Ed.: More good advice! Hopefully, everyone knows that if you have a criminal record, you will not be allowed to enter the U.S. This is a big educational point for your children and grandchildren, to keep them on that straight and narrow path.

Back to list | More articles