Retiree Visa for Canadian citizens or Canadian residents?

Summer 2015 CSANews Issue 95  |   Posted date : Jul 17, 2015.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
Dear Bird Talk,

Is the potential "Retiree Visa" for Canadian citizens or Canadian residents? The root of my question is, if a person was a Canadian citizen but a resident of Costa Rica or Panama (as an example), would they be able to spend eight months in the U.S. with a "Canadian Retiree Visa for the U.S."?

Ehyan Caldwell
Canmore, AB

Response :
Ed.: Section 4503 of the JOLT ACT sets out the proposed criteria for eligibility to obtain the "Retiree Visa." One requirement is that the person maintain a residence in Canada. What this means would be defined by regulations to be created after the passage of the bill by the U.S. Congress and Senate. Conceivably, one could have a "residence" in more than one country. Until the regulations are passed, an accurate answer cannot be given. At first blush, the answer would appear to be "no," but there are possibilities.

Back to list | More articles