Tax Filing

Spring 2018 CSANews Issue 106  |   Posted date : May 25, 2018.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
I am a Canadian citizen, but a non-resident of Canada – I currently live in Europe, where my wife is currently employed. I do have two properties in Florida that I rent out on an annual basis and I have been filing U.S. income tax returns since I purchased them. I have heard through the grapevine that I am required to report worldwide income to the IRS when filing? Is this correct? Please advise.
Chris Phinney
Glouchester, ON

Response :
Ed.: The grapevine is incorrect. You must file a U.S. tax return if you earn more than $750 in the United States. You have been doing this, so you are fine. If you were a resident of the United States then, indeed, you must pay tax on your worldwide income. If you spend extended periods of time in the U.S., I would also file a Form 8840 even though you reside in Europe.

Back to list | More articles