Income Tax

Spring 2018 CSANews Issue 106  |   Posted date : May 25, 2018.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
A further question about your response in the winter 2017 issue: “if you earn ANY income in the United States, you are required to file a U.S. tax return. This includes rental income for leasing your condo or park model as well.” Does this apply to income earned from investments in the stock market – even when the investor has never set foot in the U.S.?

Linda Charest
Sherwood Park, AB

Response :
Ed.: Income earned from investments in the stock market through a Canadian broker, even though in U.S. stocks, does not need to be reported to the U.S. As well, bank interest earned in the U.S. need not be reported in the U.S.

Back to list | More articles