Driving a Car to Florida – Contents

Spring 2018 CSANews Issue 106  |   Posted date : May 25, 2018.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
On the 30th of October 2017, my daughter and son-in-law were driving my car to Florida while my wife and I flew down. At the border, the U.S. agent asked them if they had a CBP Form 3299 and since they did not, he stated that he could refuse their entry into the U.S. Fortunately, he allowed them in but stressed that they would need to complete such a form in future. Completion of such a form appears to be somewhat complicated, so I hope that it is not required?

Denis Briggs

Response :
Ed.: Many people are not aware of this rule and customs is starting to be much more “curious” about a car’s contents. If your vehicle contains unaccompanied goods (which it did), such as household effects, you will need to complete U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Form 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles – ensuring that a complete and accurate list of all the articles in the vehicle is provided. The form and the corresponding instructions can be downloaded from the CBP website at www.cbp.gov. Your daughter and son-in-law met a very kind border agent. The form is required.

Back to list | More articles