Hurricane Wilma Travel Advisory

Summer 1999 CSANews Issue 32  |  Posted date : Mar 02, 2007.Back to list

Hurricane Wilma is now a Category 4 storm, which only two days ago was the most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded packing sustained winds up to 233km/h.

Forecasters say that when Wilma hits the United States, its projected track could take it anywhere between Tampa and the Florida Keys.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami currently predicts Wilma could strike as a Category 2 storm somewhere in south-western Florida on Sunday afternoon or evening.

If you are planning to go to Florida in the next 48-72 hours, or if you are already in Florida, the Canadian Snowbird Association recommends the following:

  • Do not travel to Florida until the area is stabilized and emergency workers have completed their emergency assistance activities.
  • Obtain travel medical insurance before you go, as affected areas may remain structurally unstable and hazardous after the hurricane.
  • Carry current identification and property deeds. If check points have been set up by local authorities to screen intruders, you may require proper identification and proof of residency or ownership before entry is permitted to your home or neighbourhood
  • If concerned about your Florida property attempt to contact friends and neighbours in the affected areas before you go. If you can't locate them call the local sheriff's office for more information.
  • Be mindful that many affected areas may be without clean water and electricity for lengthy periods of time. Alternative accommodations, such as hotels and motels, may be unavailable or fully occupied.
  • Snowbirds that are already in Florida should heed government evacuation orders and directions. If possible, inform your friends and relatives in Canada of your latest movements.
  • Pack an Emergency Kit that includes the following:
    • Cash - Banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods.
    • Water - at least one gallon per person for three to seven days.
    • Food - at least enough for three to seven days. Food should be non-perishable, and packaged or canned. You should also bring juices, food for infants or the elderly, snack food, non-electric can opener, vitamins, paper plates and plastic utensils.
    • Radio - battery powered and NOAA weather radio.
    • Blankets, pillows, tents and other camping gear.
    • Clothing - seasonal, rain gear, and sturdy shoes.
    • First Aid Kit - medicines and prescription drugs.
    • Special items - for babies and the elderly.
    • Toiletries - hygiene items, moisture wipes.
    • Flashlight and batteries.
    • Keys.
Continue to check the CSA website at for further information and updates, and contact the CSA if you have further questions.

Also, for more information visit the Current Issues page on the Consular Affairs website.

Canadian Snowbird Association
180 Lesmill Road
Toronto, Ontario
M3B 2T5 Canada

Tel (416) 391-9000 English Call Centre
Tel (416) 391-9090 French Call Centre

Tel (800) 265-3200 Toll-Free English
Tel (800) 265-5132 Toll-Free French

Fax: (416) 441-7007


Related links
Consular Affairs