Border Crossing

Fall 2007 CSANews Issue 64  |  Posted date : Oct 17, 2007.Back to list

The U.S. government will require Canadian citizens to carry government-issued photo identification (such as a driver’s licence), plus proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) as of January 31, 2008 when attempting to enter the United States by land or sea.

Although the government of Canada does not currently require Canadian citizens to produce a passport to return to Canada from abroad, the commercial aviation industry requires that you produce a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada from the United States by air.

If you plan to drive to the United States or Mexico this winter without a passport, please be advised that you will be restricted in your options for returning to Canada in the event of a family emergency, medical evacuation or other circumstances that may entice you to rush home quickly.