You do not have an Enhanced Driver’s Licence!

Spring 2009 CSANews Issue 70  |  Posted date : Apr 30, 2009.Back to list

The following provinces OFFER Enhanced Driver's Licences that will be recognized as a suitable travel document which will allow you to cross the United States border, instead of presenting a passport:
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • Quebec
Having a standard driver's licence from one of these provinces does not exempt you from providing a passport to United States Customs Officers when entering the country by land or sea. To obtain an Enhanced Driver's Licence, you have to apply for this special document and pay an additional fee in order to have it issued. It is primarily intended for use by persons who live in "border towns" and cross between the U.S. and Canada frequently.

Effective June 1, 2009, a VALID passport will be required to enter the United States by land, sea and, of course, air.