How Long Can I Visit the U.S.?

Summer 2010 CSANews Issue 75  |  Posted date : Jul 20, 2010.Back to list

A Canadian citizen who is granted entry into the United States under a B-2 Visitors Visa may be permitted to remain in the country for six months less a day. This could be 181, 182 or 183 days, depending on the date on which you enter. It is important to note that each time you enter the United States, even just for a few hours, it counts as one day. Each day that you visit the U.S. in a 12-month period will be counted and should be subtracted from the "six months less a day" that you intend to visit the United States in the winter.

Also, when you enter the U.S. for an extended period, such as six months, shorter trips outside of the country departing from and returning to the U.S. do not count as days that you can subtract from your "six months less a day" count. This is the case even if you return to Canada for a week or two during the holiday season.

It is important to note that a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer has the authority to limit your visit to the United States to any period of time that he/she sees fit. So, do your best to be accommodating when they question your intentions and length of stay. The wrong attitude could cost you days in the sun.

For more information, visit and refer to the Travellers' Information Guide. The revision dated February 1, 2010 and titled "How Long Can I Visit?" provides specific information on this topic.