FDA, eh?

Summer 2003 CSANews Issue 47  |  Posted date : Apr 20, 2007.Back to list

Many have heard said of experimental drugs, "it has reached FDA approval"...but the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is an American outfit. So what is the Canadian equivalent? We asked Health Canada, and here's their response...

"Health Canada is the counterpart to the United States Food and Drug Administration. The Food Directorate, the Therapeutic Products Directorate and the Natural Health Products Directorate in the Health Products and Food Branch (HPFB) administer the regulations pertaining to food, drugs and natural health products (a subset of drugs). The enforcement and compliance activities relating to drugs and natural health products is conducted by the HPFB Inspectorate.

With regard to the Food Directorate, the responsibility is the setting of standards and policies relating to health and to the safety and the nutritional quality of foods sold in Canada. The enforcement of these standards and policies pertaining to foods is handled by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), which is under the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food rather than the Minister of Health."

For more information on the HPFB visit their Web site at www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpfb-dgpsa; the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Web site is found at www.inspection.ga.ca.