Background Image
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  22 / 56 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 22 / 56 Next Page
Page Background


UNESCO World Heritage Site

On the first day, Route 1 brought us to the Town of

St. George (locally called St. George’s), the first settlement

on the island and the second English town established

in the NewWorld. UNESCO inscribed the historic town

and its coastal fortifications on its World Heritage Site

List in 2000.

Strolling along OldMaid’s Lane, Shinbone Alley, Petticoat

Lane and Slippery Hill, it was obvious that little had

changed since the 17


century. We stopped to admire

the storybook cottages, St. Peter’s Church (the oldest

continuously used Anglican church in theWesternHemi-

sphere) and the State House, the oldest stone building

on the island. Now a Masonic lodge, its members pay a

token rent of one peppercorn per year to the Bermuda

Government at an elaborate ceremony attended by local

dignitaries in full ceremonial dress.

In the Bermuda Perfumery, we learned how fragrances

from local flowers are extracted andmade into perfumes,

including frangipani, oleander, passion flower, Easter

lily and jasmine. We emerged at 12:30 p.m. to join the

crowd gathered in King’s Square to watch a re-enactment

of an 18


-century public punishment. Actors in period

costume locked “a drunk” in the stocks and tied “a nagging

wife” into a ducking stool before immersing her with a

big splash in St. George’s Harbour. When we first saw

this re-enactment in 1991, town crier Bob Burns read

the proclamation. This time, we spent a quiet moment

in nearby Bob Burns Memorial Park remembering him

and his resounding voice, which was recorded as loud

as 119 decibels. (That’s louder than an ambulance siren

or a rock concert.) From 1967 to 1990, Guinness World

Records listed Bob Burns as the person with the loudest

human voice.

Afterward, we explored the full‑sized replica of



, the ship that carried settlers (who survived a wreck

on Bermuda’s reefs) to Virginia in 1610. We finished our

day at Fort St. Catherine, known for its replicas of the Brit-

ish crown jewels and its enormous cannons, which could

hurl 180‑kilogramprojectiles more than a half‑kilometre.

From the battlements (where actor Charlton Heston per-



in 1953), we enjoyed spectacular views

of the ocean and pristine beaches.

The following day, we hopped on a Route 8 bus to the

Royal Naval Dockyard. You could easily spend a full

day here. Once called the “Gibraltar of the West,” it was

built by British convicts in 1810 before becoming the

Royal Navy’s base for 150 years. The Old Cooperage

houses the Bermuda Craft Market and the Bermuda

Arts Centre, where we saw artists and their works. The

National Museum of Bermuda, in the Victorian fortress

keep, contains coin collections, restored wooden boats,

nautical artifacts and centuries-old Spanish gold and relics

salvaged from shipwrecks.

Beautifully renovated, the warehouse for the wooden

warships is now the Clocktower Mall. The clocks on

the twin towers are no longer functional. Originally, the

clock on the south tower displayed the real time, while

the north tower clock provided the time of the high tide.

Our next bus stop was at Somerset Bridge, the smallest

drawbridge in the world. (It opens 46 centimetres, just

wide enough for a sailboat mast to pass.) We stretched

our legs with a hike up to the ramparts of Fort Scaur.

Relaxing on benches below a wind-buffeted Bermuda

flag, we enjoyed sweeping views of the Dockyard and the

sea before boarding the bus to Hamilton.


Relaxing on bench

below Bermuda flag

in Fort Scaur


Pink buses stop in

front of Clocktower

Shopping Mall

in Royal Naval


Scooters park by


Shopping Mall



www. snowbirds .org