Background Image
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  8 / 56 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 8 / 56 Next Page
Page Background



Have NEXUS will travel?


Travel Insurance Alert!



Canada’s travel advice and advisories pages provide

Canadians travelling and living abroad with official

Government of Canada information and advice

regarding situations that may affect their safety and

well-being. Select your destination online to view

regularly updated information about its security,

entry and exit requirements, health conditions,

local laws and culture, natural disasters and climate,

and how to find help when you are there.

No matter where in the world you intend to travel,

make sure that you check your destination coun-

try’s travel advice and advisories page twice: once

when you are planning your trip, and again shortly

before you leave.

If the region or the country

which you will be visiting becomes subject to a

travel advisory, your travel health insurance or

your trip cancellation insurancemay be affected


You are solely responsible for your travel decisions.

Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada:

1-800-267-6788 or


Alcoholic beverage limits

(While bottle sizes vary, the amounts listed are fixed.)






Up to1.5 litres

Up to53 fluid ounces

Two 750 ml bottles of wine

Alcoholic Beverages

Up to1.14 litres

Up to 40 fluid ounces

One large standard bottle of liquor

Beer or Ale

Up to8.5 litres

Up to 287 fluid ounces Approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale

You are allowed to import only one of the amounts listed in the table free of duty and taxes, as part of your personal exemption.

Traveller personal exemption limits effective June 1, 2012


than 24


Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers.

24 hours

or more

Up to CAN$200

– Alcohol and tobacco cannot be claimed. Goods must

be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. If the value of the

goods that you have purchased abroad exceeds $200 after a 24-hour

absence, duty and taxes are applicable on the entire amount of the

imported goods.

48 hours

or more

Up to CAN$800

– May include alcohol and tobacco products within the

prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. Goods must

be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. Travellers absent for

periods of 48 hours or longer will have the applicable exemption level

credited against the total value of goods.

7 days

or more

Up to CAN$800

– May include alcohol and tobacco products within

the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. For the

seven-day exemption, goods may be in your possession at time of entry

to Canada, but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (such as via

courier, mail or delivery agency), except alcohol and tobacco products,

which must be in your possession. All of the goods will qualify for duty-

and tax-free entry if they are declared at the initial return to Canada.

Tobacco product limits


200 cigarettes


50 cigars


200 grams of manufactured tobacco



200 tobacco sticks

If you bring in more than your personal exemption,

you will have to pay regular assessments on the

excess amount. These regular assessments can

include duty and taxes, as well as provincial or

territorial fees. When they calculate the amounts

owing, border services officers will give an

allowance for products that have an excise stamp


Youmust closely adhere to the program requirements as a Global Trusted Traveller.

Any violation of law or regulation may lead to the revocation of your program

participation and could result in the issuance of a penalty, seizure action or

criminal prosecution. Please periodically review the program requirements and

follow the rules closely.

If you have a NEXUS Card and you intend to import items that fall outside of

the exemptions allowed as a traveller, you should NOT use the NEXUS line to

enter a foreign country or re-enter Canada. If you do not comply with the rules

of basic traveller exemptions or are carrying commercial goods, use the standard

border-crossing lineup and declare the items that you are importing or exporting

– DO NOT USE THE “GOES” or “NEXUS” kiosks or lanes.



www. snowbirds .org