Real Estate Ownership in California

Spring 2019 CSANews Issue 110  |   Posted date : May 29, 2019.Back to list

Bird talk - Le Jaseur
My husband and I bought a house in California two years ago, as "Husband and Wife as Joint Tenants." I’ve been reading some information recently that’s making me wonder if we should transfer it to a "Revocable Trust" to avoid costly probate and extraordinary fees. The purchase price was $168,000. The current value is more than $200,000. We will be making a living will as well. Thank you in advance for your advice on this.

Nancy Weisdorff
Saskatoon, SK

Response :
Ed.: Transferring the property to a trust would accomplish avoidance of probate fees, etc., but as to whether that is the best way for you, we cannot say. You should consult an estate attorney in California.

Back to list | More articles